Stainless and Copper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Any reason a stainless valve wouldn't play nice with copper/brass fittings? I'm thinking no.

Hey, Neighbor! I don't think there's a galvanic reaction issue,
but you'd need to confirm that with a metallurgist or a chemist.

Last edited:
We sweat stainless pipe right into copper connections for some of our customers at work. I can't imagine why fittings wouldn't be ok.

A general comment on stainless threaded joints, I avoid them. In industry, even using various thread sealants, stainless threaded joints tend to leak far more often than any other materials especially if the threads are made in the field. SS in general is harder to thread and the dies get dull quicker so its easy to get rough threads with file joints. I expect you are tieing into a SS piece of equipment like a heat exchanger and then running with copper so you are probably using a store bought set of threads to tie into the SS. If you do use thread sealant read the instructions, some systems recommend a primer followed by sealant. Many folks skip the primer and the system doesn't work as well.

Thanks guys.

I had no idea that was possible.

Oh yeah, it's a mild PITA from what the brazers at work tell me. I don't do any sweat joints at work but I've watched the guys who do. You have to have your Flux just right, can't get it to hot or the Flux burns out too fast and won't take solder, we use 50% silver solder to make the joints. But it's definitely doable, and we test most of our units at 350 psi.

Status
Not open for further replies.