Stainless Bolted Sectional Tank Concept

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
OK, I continue to beat my head against the challenge of wanting a large storage reservoir, while facing the constraint of having an older house where the cellar, where the boiler will be located, is accessible only by a bulkhead hatch, which rules out most of the options that I might otherwise use.

End of day yesterday, I spoke with a fellow who's with a company that fabricates stainless bolted-together tanks for Ag, industrial & municipal applications, and after I explained what I was aiming for, and the constraints faced, he agreed to do some thinking and figuring and get back to me.

He called me back mid-day today and it sounds like it'd be possible to do a bolted sectional __rectangular__ tank where all the pieces are at most 2ft wide in their skinniest dimension, with the lengths matching the length of the side of the tank that they'll be used for. Edges of these sheets are folded into flanges, which is how they then bolt together.

The rough ballpark costs he gave me on that concept-type-level are far from cheap, but actually not as astronomical as I was thinking when you figure the cost I found out the other day on the Haase tanks, or, for that matter, the ingenious but still kinda kludge-ey STSS tanks. Using 409 stainless rather than 304 would keep cost more moderate, and the apparent only disadvantage of the 409 is that it tarnishes, which I won't care about, since it'll be under insulation. (the top of my barn is stacked with a bunch of 4" polyiso sheeting that I scrounged last summer from a roofing contractor who was getting rid of it).

Is this sounding interesting to anyone else?

Perhaps a "group buy" from a bunch of us might help bring down the per-tank fabrication costs. Costs for a one-off single tank are sounding-- very ball-park- so far, in the rough area of $5k for a rectangular 1350 gallon 6x6x5 tank (including an attached cover, also stainless, strong enough to stand on) made with 409 stainless

Suggestions, Ideas, Others who may be interested?

I got an estimate of $2500 for a site-built 1000 gallon stainless tank (unpressurized). The idea was to bring in sheet stainless and weld it into a tank in the basement. That option allows thinner and therfore less expensive material.

I ended up going for a used open-top stainless tank that I put outside.

Nofossil- since you're in VT and I am in VT, could you please PM me the details of who you'd gotten the $2,500 estimate from- maybe it's someone I should talk to? The only stainless fabricator I know near me (Montpelier area) charges ultra-premium prices

An update on this- I am definitely going to be getting a variant of the tank I described above. It'll cost more than a propane tank, but I can't fit one of those down into my old house cellar. Cost shouldn't be immensely out of line with the really big versions of the STSS, and less than what I was quoted for the Haase, and unlike any liner-or resin- dependent type, it should outlive me with no worries of whether I'll someday come home to or wake up to some big steaming leak. Since it's bolted together in sections, if I ever moved (not that I expect to if I can help it) I could even take it apart, take it with me, and re-assemble somewhere else.

I've put a deposit down and am working with the mfgr on the details of where to put ports for fittings, and will post details here as it all progresses, which'll inevitably take some time, between design completion, fabrication, shipping, and assembly.

Good deal... Keep us posted!

pybyr

How is it kept watertight?

DenaliChuck said:
pybyr

How is it kept watertight?

all the panels have folded edge flanges where they bolt together, creating butted joints held together by bolts, and between the flanges will be buna gasket stripping, plus industrial grade Sikaflex adhesive/ sealant rated for these temps (195 F continuous and tolerant to brief overheat up to 250)

the co. I am dealing to make this thing with usually builds bolted sectional tanks in the tens or hundreds of thousands of gallons (like water towers), so they've given me a pretty good sense of confidence that they know their way around how to make tanks this way and have them work & last

Have they done anything with galvanized sheet metal instead of SS?

Sounds like a great design that could be manufactured in small fab shops anywhere.

I dunno about galvanized- the 409 stainless is less expensive than 304 or 316, and although 409 will tarnish (who cares?), I am glad to know I won't have to wonder about it someday pinholing through.

DenaliChuck said:
Sounds like a great design that could be manufactured in small fab shops anywhere.

The only issue will be that the flanges need to be precise. Not "good enough," which is often what small shops deliver (particularly when they are not used to a particular product type).

Not that a small shop couldn't do it, but I would be very picky about which small shop I used...

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.