Stainless Chimney Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JotulOwner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, New York
I found some questions and answers to questions relating to this topic on the site, but I am looking for a little bit more info.

I have heard (and read) that you are supposed to use a poly brush to clean a stainless (or any metal) pipe so you don't scratch the inside. Some of the sweeps I have asked do not use poly brushes and I am not sure how important it is not to scratch the inside of the pipe. Is the use of a metal brush a problem when used over time or at all? What is the real problem with scratches inside of the pipe anyway? I am surprised there aren't brushes out there that are made of a softer metal so they can avoid scratching and still clean well.

I have read a few threads on this topic in anticipation for when I have to clean my chimney. Some have said a poly brush should only be used, while others have said it does not matter. I do recall reading here somewhere that the steel brush can be a pain because it can get hung up in the chimney. I'll probably go with a poly brush for that reason alone.

Hopefully, someone with some actual experience on this subject can chime in.

I had the same question ,so I called Simpson and they said to use the poly brush.

First I heard of that one. I just cleaned my stainless with a wire brush :bug: Didn't look like it damaged it. Any more info would be helpful.

I asked this question to a fellow who sells the chimney and also installs. He has been in business over 30 years. He said it is okay to use a wire brush....but expect your chimney to not last nearly as long. He has chimneys that are still being used after 30 years but the only chimneys that have had problems, the people used a wire brush and not poly. So, for less than $10 for a new poly brush, I bought one. Why take a chance?

I do not believe for one second that a wire brush does any damage. It is not like I have to scrub the liner for 20 minutes or anything - it is just a quick brushing.

Backwoods Savage said:
So, for less than $10 for a new poly brush, I bought one. Why take a chance?

After doing a search I can see that this went back and forth a lot in the past. I would have to agree with Savage on this. Next year my SS will be cleaned with Poly.

I think that was that part of the $700 billion bailout agreement. :roll:

Never used one, but I went out and got a 6" steel brush the other day, then came back and checked the forum (backwards, I know - story of my life). The poly is actually the one most folks said was tough to slide through, but easy enough to trim if needed. Lots of guys like steel. Seemed 50/50. But the poly was five bucks less, so I swapped for that, and for the difference picked up a nice, big (free) wire brush that I used to clean the smoke chamber of my fireplace. Case closed.

bjkjoseph said:
i watched an episode of modern marvels.they showed how when stainless steel is scratched it will repair its self.

Good to see that science fiction is making a comeback. Wonder if I can get my old Mazda Pickup to repair itself :lol:

I have used both on mine (ss liner). the steel wire brush does a better job.
SS is some tuff stuff. I have not seen any damage caused by the steel wire.

MEE EITHER. i used a steel one last year. first time cleaning. this year I bought a poly and used that. the poly was actually harder to get around my 45 fegree bend. both worked well. I will stay with the poly I guess. no since chancing anything if they both work the same if you ask me

I have seen where if you clean stainless that's exposed to water (such as sinks, or boat parts), using plain steel scrubs or brushes, you'll get rust stains later. Doesn't hurt the stainless, just makes it look bad.

I wonder if that's the source of this idea that plain steel shouldn't be used to clean stainless steel?

It's hard to imagine a few milligrams of rubbed-off steel would catalyze some kind of destructive corrosion of a stainless liner. Not impossible, mind you; just that... I'd want to see some kind of proof before worrying about it.

Eddy

I had called Selkirk a few months ago when this topic came up last time...I remember the exact quote:

"Selkirk does not recommend the use of steel brushes"

I don't feel any need to test it out, since stainless will corrode under the right conditions. A hot, corrosive environment seems to leaning toward the right conditions. Hog did make a point that the wire brush allows you to clean when the chimney is still somewhat hot, so you have a much bigger window of opportunity.

I emailed Selkirk Metalbestos and asked them whether it was ok to use a metal brush and they responded:

"Regarding cleaning........the most important aspect of this is to inspect and clean regularly. Next, is to use a brush - not chemicals. As far as the brush is concerned, there are some people who swear by the poly brush while others will say you must use the metal brush. It does not matter to us - either type of brush is fine. However as I mentioned, we do not want you to use chemicals. Some chemicals can be harsh / corrosive and you do not want to use something corrosive on the chimney, so use mechanical means only."

I guess that answers the question (at least for metalbestos owners).

Art

In these perennial discussions we are actually talking about two different chimneys. Rigid stainless pipe and corrugated flex liners. The rigid pipes are all, at least as far as I know, substantially thicker stainless than any of the flex liners except the two ply "smooth wall" variety (And don't get me started on that stuff. I pulled six hundred dollars worth of that stuff and threw it off the roof into the back yard.). Craig is correct when he calls .005 and .006 inch flex liners "broil foil". They are thin. To arrive at my own decision as to what brushes to use I tested them on a piece of .005" flex liner. The metal brush did a by far better job of getting the crud out of the corrugations in the liner. But, it also put grooves in the ridges of the liner everywhere it made contact as it was pushed through the liner. The poly brushes did not do that. To me if you groove thin metal you have probably stretched it when you did that. And .005 inches thick does not leave a lot after it is stretched.

Soooo. I use the soft bristle pre-fab chimney brushes for normal cleaning of my two flex liners when they only have powdery soot in them. The regular stiff bristle poly brush sits in its box awaiting the day that crusty creosote shows up in the liner. The metal wire brush sits on a shelf waiting for hell to freeze over.

I think the metal wire brush would be just fine and do a superior job on the thicker rigid stainless pipe. And I KNOW that the poly brushes do a superior job on my flex liners without putting grooves in them that didn't come in them from the factory.

Outside of that I have no opinion on chimney brushes. :coolsmirk:

I think my head is going to explode if this brush topic comes up another 2billion times this year.
I has similar conversation with Dale at Simpson regarding their Dura Liner. He said basically the same. No matter which one, just clean it & no chemicals.
I have rigid cept for the bottom 5 foot & I use a steel brush.
I forget who, but someone said they called Selkirk and were told poly only. Personally, at this pint I don't give a flying fug who uses what.
Can we go back to the cat/no cat debate for a while?

Hogwildz said:

No. We enjoy irritating big dudes that can't get their hands around our necks. :lol:

Making up for all of the getting our asses kicked on the playground ya see?

As far as ss "repairing itself", I had a Wilson putter that didn't work too well and I doubt it is repairing itself from the bottom of the lake it flew into. Poor Mr. Wilson.

Hogwildz said:
I think my head is going to explode if this brush topic comes up another 2billion times this year.
I has similar conversation with Dale at Simpson regarding their Dura Liner. He said basically the same. No matter which one, just clean it & no chemicals.
I have rigid cept for the bottom 5 foot & I use a steel brush.
I forget who, but someone said they called Selkirk and were told poly only. Personally, at this pint I don't give a flying fug who uses what.

No you can`t -- not on this thread, this is about that wonderful SS Cleaning. You know, the one where I state that I will only use a poly brush on my flex liner? I mean, get real Hogg, not all of us can simply throw a radioactive tablet down that chimney and expect it to be clean :lol:

Oh, and for your poor little headache, you should be more concerned about the trillions being poured down the drain by your fav politicians. Hope I have made your day? If not, not to worry? Brother Bart is back and I am sure he will find a one-liner to really get you ticked %-P

Now, get your ass over to the can and stir. Getting a little weary trying to get the blood pressure raised on those right wing loonies all by myself. :p

Yaknow Bart, I am going to get down there to visit one of these days.
But the only thing I'll be wrapping these paws around is a bunch o beers.
;)
I took quite a few ass woopins in school, for having long hair, for being a stoner, for just cause.
Shame I didn't get to the way I am till years after school.
On a lighter note, I may be going to my 25 class reunion to Neanderthal it up a lil bit.
Anyone interested in starting a bail fund for me now?

Sonny, I pick my fights. I have less tolerance for the ash can as I do for the never ending brush debate.
Maybe I'll give up my citizenship and move to the great white north.

Hogwildz said:
Yaknow Bart, I am going to get down there to visit one of these days.
But the only thing I'll be wrapping these paws around is a bunch o beers.
;)
I took quite a few ass woopins in school, for having long hair, for being a stoner, for just cause.
Shame I didn't get to the way I am till years after school.
On a lighter note, I may be going to my 25 class reunion to Neanderthal it up a lil bit.
Anyone interested in starting a bail fund for me now?

Not to worry Hogg--you are kicking ass on this forum. One of the better contributors in my deranged opinion. Now, about lending a hand in that can? :cheese:

Only one I went to was the 25th. Got voted most changed. I used to be the problem on the playground.

Have fun.

Use poly brushes. Just keeping the post on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.