Stainless Steel for block off?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Nov 23, 2005
Connecticut
Hello,
I'm installing a new Jotul Kennebec this week and was wondering if I could use stainless for the bottom block-off plate. It is, i believe, 16 gauge. I don't have any sheet metal lying around. Thanks.

Rick

Not a good idea. Some stainless steel will cook off chromium (read heavy metal poisoning). This is not likely unless you get VERY hot, but every time it overfires a bit, you could be getting way more than your RDA of chromium. Just a thought.

Joshua

I didn't get that answer either. I read the original question as referring to a bottom block-off plate as in the piece that goes around the chimney liner where it passes through the damper. Considering the fact that the liner is most likely made of stainless, there certainly should be no reason the block-off plate couldn't be also.

Yes, that is the use I'm referring to. I was concerned because I don't know if their are different "types" of stainless. This sheet was the side of a stainless table (yes, i'm a pack rat).

Rick

Chromium emissions are generally only an issue when welding stainless...or other performing other processes that bring the metal to a molten state. For every day uses - pots, pans, silverware, counter tops, medical implants, flue liners, your block off plate, etc - metal emissions won't be a problem. Now if you overfire the stove to the point that the block off plate melts and begins to vaporize, you don't want to breathe the vapors! But by then, you may have more immediate problems!

Corey

OK OK, so maybe it was a thoughtless answer!!!

Sorry. I was referring to the thing about being an unknown alloy of stainless. Pots and pans are made of known alloys, same with stainless chimney liner. Unknown alloy + heat COULD (operative word COULD) spell trouble. YMMV

Just being my normal cautious self.

Joshua

Rick said:
Hello,
I'm installing a new Jotul Kennebec this week and was wondering if I could use stainless for the bottom block-off plate. It is, i believe, 16 gauge. I don't have any sheet metal lying around. Thanks.

Rick

Wow, way overdoing it, but no problem...if you can fab it, you can use it......

Generally 22 to 24 gauge galv will do, and if stainless probably 24....

I ditto Craig's response. I see no problem using ss damper plate material. Bare in mind a lot harder to cut or drill.
You should not reach the heat level where Josh indicated problems arise.

BTW excellent choice in stove selection. We all assumed you are planning to install a full liner? If not there are a lot of factors to consider. If your fireplace is exposed to outside walls, it may never opperate correctly, without a being fully lined.

elkimmeg said:
BTW excellent choice in stove selection. We all assumed you are planning to install a full liner? If not there are a lot of factors to consider. If your fireplace is exposed to outside walls, it may never opperate correctly, without a being fully lined.

He said "bottom block off", which makes me assume he is definitely lining all the way....

Given this quality, I expect Titanium, Copper and Gold for the top block off, and silver (or at least an Extendaflue Proper Topper) for the lining termination.
http://extendaflue.com/pt.html

Craig, can copper be used for flue pipe?

homefire said:
Craig, can copper be used for flue pipe?

Well, actually....copper can take some quite high temps!

It is expensive, which I assume is one of the biggest reasons it is not used. It is used for many chimney caps and such things. It also cannot be easily welded....must be riveted or soldered.

Of course, it is also very soft and will discolor....some like the colors that it takes on.

There are some earlier wood boiler designs that used copper tubes on the inside - soldered with silver solder, of course, but even these could not hold up to the heat and pressure (when steam built up!).....although copper boilers were the norm in the old days of the first steam engines....easy stuff to work and rivet.

I suppose copper could be used for an internal stove pipe connector if the seam was well formed and riveted....I wouldn't be surprised if some of those fancy Malm fireplaces used something like this.....

I don't know of any premade pipe of this sort, but as I said LOTS of chimney caps.

Wow... diamonds, titanium, fancy copper with silver solder. I said i was a pack rat, not wealthy :). Yes, it will be fully lined. Speaking of which, what happens if the liner is too long? Can it be cut? Also, does it come in one long 15' piece, or in sections? I've never installed a liner before. I've installed a free-standing stove and back in the day had an insert that just dumped into the flue. I think it may be kinda easy (I've just cursed myself) the flue is large and straight, and the damper is very wide. The roof is flat and reasonably low, I'm ready for this, I hope.

Rick

NO!!! HE said it would be easy!!! Murphy has taken notice!! Duck and cover! Run in circles, scream, and shout! There are no atheists in a foxhole!!

Excuse me sir, cliche police. Please come with us.

But wait. Isn't THAT LINE a cliche?

My god, Barney, he's right. We'll have to arrest each other!

AHHH!!! The pain!
The pain of such BAD JOKES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.