Stainless Steel Gas Manifolds for Boiler Water?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveBP

Minister of Fire
May 25, 2008
SW Maine
I recently saw ( at the local LowesDepot ) a 4-port manifold made of stainless tubing with machined pipe fittings brazed on for a very good price.

Made in Korea, brand name HOME-FLEX. I see certification stamps on them for gas use but not for water. Website doesn't mention potable water or boiler water usage.

Any reason these couldn't be used for domestic (oxygenated) water ? Boiler water?

I think any component or assemblies that touch potable water from source to tap need to be NSF 61 (low lead) listed nowadays. I think that includes pipe, valve , fittings, gaskets, hardware, etc. even if it is not a brass component.

Stainless could be used for hydronics as long as potable is not mixed. Temperature rating might be an issue if gaskets are involved..

Should be okay for boiler water, although gas systems are operating under relatively low pressure. I have used some gas manifolds in some test systems and they were okay.
If there are gaskets, I would try to find out what they are made of. Surprises are never fun, especially in January.

Thanks for the replies.
You hit both my uncertainties. Pressure and possible contamination from the brazing compound. Lead and cadmium are possible ingredients in brazing that I've run into.
I've been here long enough to have to rebuild some things I did on the cheap; and often enough that saving a little money is no longer quite as attractive as doing things right first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.