Q&A Stainless Steel Liner Size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I need your opinion on liner size please. I have owned a house for the past five years which has a Cozy Comfort model 110 stove (manufacturer: Valley Comfort in Canada) which is about 20 years old. I recently discovered that the masonry chimney isn't even lined with flue tile so I want to install a stainless steel liner. The problem is this:The stove opening diameter is eight inches but the chimney flue will only accommodate a six inch diameter liner. My local stove shop says you can only go up or down from the stove opening size by one inch. In other words- I can't use a liner that will fit the chimney. Is this true? How small could I go and still have a high enough flow capability? The area of the draft opening is much smaller than the flue opening.

Answer:

Well- according to code- you should not even reduce at all..buts lets talk about safety and what works. The draft of any chimney is related to the width AND the height. For instance- a 30 foot 6 inch chimney probably will draft much better than a 12 foot 8 inch chimney. The number of turns (the less the better) will also affect it.OK- so lets talk about if 6" can handle the BTU load of the stove. A 6" chimney 20 feet high can handle well over 100-000 BTU/Hr- well more than any freestanding woodstove can put out. The larger flue sizes (8") are usually used because the stove has a large door opening. It takes a larger flue to keep smoke from rolling out when the stove door is open. Again- the height of the chimney can affect this too.So- altho I have not exactly told you what you should do- I've hope I've spelled out the considerations...

Status
Not open for further replies.