Stainless Steel or Galvalume Chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NVHunter

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Reno, NV
I am looking for input on the finish of the outer wall of the DuraTech Chimney I'm going to install this coming summer.

The chimney will be in a chase so it won't be visible.

Would the Galvalume (which is $100 cheaper) be ok vs the all stainless steel duratech chimney?

My HOA doesn't want any exposed steel seen, hence the chase. I'll have to paint the top of the chimney too where it is exiting the chase.

Thanks

so what will the pipe coming out of the roof look like? will it be covered in an exterior chase as well?

Go for the galvalume. It will last fine in the chase.

The chimney will have 3-4" of pipe and a cap from the top of the chase that I have to paint to match the house's roof color.

The HOA is very picky. If I had my way id leave the stainless on top as is.

The chimney will have 3-4" of pipe and a cap from the top of the chase that I have to paint to match the house's roof color.

The HOA is very picky. If I had my way id leave the stainless on top as is.
I would think the SS would be more attractive too. And it's not like alot of it would be showing

Yea, maybe I'll just put the stainless on top and wait till they send me a letter complaining about it being too shinny and nice... Haha

Thanks for the input everyone.

I think the galvalume is easier to get the paint to bond to than shiney stainless.

Status
Not open for further replies.