stainless steel pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtalea

Feeling the Heat
Dec 14, 2005
Bristol, Connecticut
Perhaps this question has been asked,or perhaps it is a stupid question.so leave it to me to ask.

Does any company make 4" stainless steel inner and outer shelled pellet pipe?

expensive yeah Im sure it would be.but very handsome if ya have enough exposed.

well perhaps it would but being that i am a carpenter( not sure how this relates) I prefer the finer things...like rare woods...precious metal....etc; I dont know I just think stainless looks classy...

enord said:
i use b-vent cause i got a deal on it seems same as pelletpipe but unscrewable.
ss sounds expensive.

B-vent will not hold up to the temps of a pellet unit, thats why they have special pellet "Type L" venting. It also does not seal up properly for the forced draft of a pellet stove.

Im not classy. lol just like classy things well certain things..wife isnt classy either.lol....

Shiny Things-
Been told by the wife that 'it's a guy thing'-"guys are like crows, always looking at shiny things"
Funny to me cuz it's the women who want Shiny jewlery, earrings and such. (not so much my wife though)

My pipe is Dura-vent, Galvi on the outside-SS on the inside- but dont know if they make a 4"

Wildsourdough said:
Shiny Things-
Been told by the wife that 'it's a guy thing'-"guys are like crows, always looking at shiny things"
Funny to me cuz it's the women who want Shiny jewlery, earrings and such. (not so much my wife though)

My pipe is Dura-vent, Galvi on the outside-SS on the inside- but dont know if they make a 4"

Yeah they make 4" but not SS outer. I have no idea why... all the other Simpson products they make SS outer. This guy is looking for a 4" pellet pipe with SS outer shell for the shiny factor.

enord said:
ss sounds expensive.

Id be real carefully taking advice here from a guy that used the wrong pipe for the wrong appliccation

B vent has an inner thin wall wall aluminum core used in a much lower heat range of gass appliance exhaust. Aided and cooled by air being drawn in to a draft hood

Pellet vent the only code excepted vent for pellet stoves has a stainless steel inner core designed to withstand the heat and coursive nature of pellet burning exhaust.

Like I said be real careful at some of the advice given advice that could kill you, when the aluminum core fails and spews carbon monoxide in your home. I bet that installation was never permitted

enord said:
jtp10181 said:
enord said:
ss sounds expensive.

B-vent will not hold up to the temps of a pellet unit, thats why they have special pellet "Type L" venting.

really! been cranking this thing for 2 years, & i mean cranking! i only have 1 foot that goes out the wall. so much for the 'proof-pudding theory. guess lvent has different thermal specs?

You are probably getting a lot of leaking in the vent, but since its all outside you wont notice it inside. Another thing to consider is, what are the clearances to B-Vent when using it on a Pellet appliance? No one knows, its not tested or approved. I would strongly reccomend switching your venting out to type L pellet vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.