Stainless Steel stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AppalachianStan

Minister of Fire
Nov 4, 2011
Clover SC
Hey all, do they make single wall stainless steel stove pipe? I know they make double wall that has stainless in it. I am going to go stainless steel to help with creosote.

Better to try burning dry wood to help with creosote.

Reactions: CenterTree
how would stainless help reduce creosote?
Creosote dose not stick to good to stainless. Last night I swept my chimney, and got all most a coffee can full of creoste just from the black stove pipe but the class a stainless was clean.

Creosote dose not stick to good to stainless. Last night I swept my chimney, and got all most a coffee can full of creoste just from the black stove pipe but the class a stainless was clean.

This is more likely due to the class A being insulated and the black pipe not. Dave is right, the stainless probably will not have an appreciable difference.

Reactions: Heatsource
wood was between 15 and 20% on a resplit

If you do decide to swap out your pipe, I would think double wall will be the best value. The interior of the double wall, as you know, is stainless anyway. You would also get the added benefit of retained heat to help reduce creosote. I installed stainless steel once as single wall connector. The stove door was brushed nickel and the home owner wanted the pipe to semi-match the door. All I remember was it being a major pain to cut cleanly and no slip joint. I think we ended up using a black slip joint up at the ceiling.

I see no proof of creosote not sticking to stainless from what you described. Your Class A is most likely double/insulated pipe. So you are not comparing apples to apples.

-----------------------

Maybe some company could invent a chimney lined with TEFLON. Like my wife's frying pans....NON STICK!:cool:
By golly, I think I'm onto something.... (or just on something)

Reactions: AppalachianStan
What is your flue temp when burning, been using regular stove pipe for over 30 years and no creosote in the pipe.

You avoid creosote by burning with a warm flue and dry wood.
wood was between 15 and 20% on a resplit. Hope full I get a hot flue with the add Chimney height.

wood was between 15 and 20% on a resplit. Hope full I get a hot flue with the add Chimney height.
So your flue temp is low? Mine runs high with the new stove and have no idea why and cant seem to find any body with any idea either.

My chimney was 15' and I would get low temps between 800 to 1000* on cat probe and between 150 to 200* on flue. Now don't know add 3' of chimney to get more draft.

I considered the single wall stainless for my 10' connector pipe in the shop. That stuff is very expensive. Almost as expensive as class A pipe. Certainly compare the cost to double wall which is also stainless but will offer superior performance with regard to draft and creo accumulation.

I had a 20 ft rigid stainless liner in our chimney installed when we moved into this place. It was connected to an old Majestic smoke dragon. The first year we moved in the wood was crappy and there was plenty of creosote accumulation in the pipe. It is no guarantee of reduced accumulation. When it's in a double-wall connector or in a class A pipe the reason it stays cleaner is because it keeps the flue gases hotter.

Status
Not open for further replies.