Stainless Steel Wood Stove-discoloring?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AinNC

Jul 1, 2015
Lenoir NC
Looks like we'll be buying a Fajardo Ronda Lenero since nobody is carrying Rika stoves anymore. I'm originally from Germany and seen similar stoves ( modern look and made from steel) there during my visits.
My husband was wondering if a stainless steel stove might discolor over time since our current stainless steel stove pipe did aquire some discoloration?
Thanks in advance!

Typically no, the stainless steel is usually an outer jacket separated from the stove body by an air gap.

Reactions: AinNC
Typically no, the stainless steel is usually an outer jacket separated from the stove body by an air gap.
Thanks for your reply!
However now my husband is wondering why the upper part of our double wall stainless steel stove pipe ( the one that is connected to the stove not the one outside) discolored last winter,could it have gotten too hot?
Isn't it seperated with an airgap as well since it's a double pipe?

Where, indoors or outdoors? Are you referring to the chimney pipe? I ask because I see some unknown shiny pipe in your avatar picture too.

Not uncommon for the top of the chimney to stain. If it is brown and black that usually is from creosote off the cap then hitting rain water. A picture would help us verify.

image.jpg
Not uncommon for the top of the chimney to stain. If it is brown and black that usually is from creosote off the cap then hitting rain water. A picture would help us verify.
To clarify-it's the pipe on the inside connected to the stove.

OK, that is connector or stove pipe, not chimney pipe. Are you certain this is double-wall? Do you know the brand of this pipe? Is it Durablack stainless?

OK, that is connector or stove pipe, not chimney pipe. Are you certain this is double-wall? Do you know the brand of this pipe? Is it Durablack stainless?
After further questioning my husband he said that yes it's singel wall ;-) I guess that's what I get for asking him questions while he's watching a movie...and yes it's Durablack stainless :) Can the discoloration be removed somehow?

I'm not sure it can be removed. That is from the pipe getting hot. You could try a polish used to remove bluing from motorcycle pipes. http://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Exhaust-Polish-Removes-Bluing/dp/B00FNP3YBE

Also, it looks like the pipe may be installed upside down. Hard to tell from the picture. The male end of the pipe is supposed to be on the bottom end, pointing toward the stove.

Reactions: AinNC
Status
Not open for further replies.