Stainless Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
stoveguy2esw said:
stainless would be impractical due to not only material cost, but also you would not be able to weld it with mig machines and wire, would likely have to be tig welded which is a more time intensive procedure, as well as one which requires a high degree of skill.
Huh????
I better throw my stainless mig wire out....... Damn it was expensive too. :p
The problem with stainless mig is people use the wrong shielding gas... Tri mix for SS..... Ag/CO2/He
the Helium aids the penetration.

Tig that's Argon for everything.....

For the amount of welds on a stove Tig's not practical.
Stick it...... Lincoln makes a great SS welding rod I think its 309L Best stuff I've used
But they can be Mig welded.

tradergordo said:
This makes it great for secondary combustion chambers, burn tubes, and chimneys (in all cases where you want to "trap in" the high temps) but bad if you actually want to put heat into the room (i.e. for the stove itself).

Unless you were trying to reflect it out the front of the stove and away from the back or side walls.

Matt

Titan said:
--And a stainless Delorean woodstove would offer time travel when it reached 88*F -or was that mph? :coolgrin:
I think were onto something here:
Slap a Mr Fusion on top of the stove and we can burn our trash.
No need to season wood anymore..... :coolsmirk:

GVA said:
stoveguy2esw said:
stainless would be impractical due to not only material cost, but also you would not be able to weld it with mig machines and wire, would likely have to be tig welded which is a more time intensive procedure, as well as one which requires a high degree of skill.
Huh????
I better throw my stainless mig wire out....... Damn it was expensive too. :p
The problem with stainless mig is people use the wrong shielding gas... Tri mix for SS..... Ag/CO2/He
the Helium aids the penetration.

Tig that's Argon for everything.....

For the amount of welds on a stove Tig's not practical.
Stick it...... Lincoln makes a great SS welding rod I think its 309L Best stuff I've used
But they can be Mig welded.

yes you're right , it's bin a long time since i did any kind of welding . I vaguely remember hearing about a SS welding rod but was not sure .

Webmaster said:
I'm a bit behind the times as I have not been in the physical stove biz for about 8 years now (sold my shop in 1998).

8 years now? Do you miss it, Craig, or do you feel you made the right decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.