Standard see-through fireplace deeper than 24"? (or is 7-8" inset OK?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjw314

Dec 13, 2015
Boulder, CO
I currently have a single-side gas fireplace that is set into a 39" deep framed sheetrock fireplace (non-masonry, only framed in sheetrock) that goes all the way to our ceiling (15'). I am looking to replace it with a 2-side fireplace, and plan to install stacked stone veneer all the way up to the ceiling.

My question is whether there are deeper "standard" (i.e., non-custom) see-through fireplaces that have a depth greater than 24" (which seems to be the most common depth). I am hoping to minimize the "inset" required on either side of the see-through fireplace. With a 39" deep framed box, I'd have about a 7 1/2 inch inset on both sides of the see-through fireplace.

Anyone out there aware of a deeper see-through fireplace than 24"?

If not, does anyone have an opinion on whether there would be any issues with insetting a 24" deep fireplace by 7-8" on either side? Of course I'd make the roof and sides of the inset a non-flammable material (likely stone). Is there risk of over-heating the inset roof? Any other issues I might not be considering?

thanks for any guidance!
Cory

Status
Not open for further replies.