Standard textbook for pellet stove industry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stentor

Hearth Supporter
Apr 3, 2009
North of Boston, Mass
Is there a standard textbook or other source for the pellet stove industry?

You can find lots of references to manufacturers, suppliers, trade associations and government pamphlets from Google and a few older books from amazon.com. A lot of people in this forum have experience but sometimes an ax to grind. ;-) I wonder if there is some straightforward text that somebody would use in a basic technical course like "Intro to Home Heating 101 for Consumers" or a basic survey from an economist's point of view.

There is lots of knowledge and experience out there but maybe not organized in a rigorous framework. It's like sailors or fishermen with a body of lore: "Red sky at night, sailor's delight; red sky in morning, sailor take warning." Good experience but who's got the radar and satellite weather reports?

the NFI has a book with the general info about pellet stove that they use as a study guide for the old NFI certification. It covers all the basic concepts of combustion principals, venting pricipals, positive and negative pressure and stuff like that. That might be what you're looking for.

Delta-T, thanks for the lead. I checked out the NFI web site and looked around for used copies of their manuals. I didn't find what I want yet but I found some related stuff from Amazon.

you know, if you sign up for the $300 certification class, they throw in the 60 page study guide for FREE! The pellet industry must closely guard their secrets. We would not want North Korea getting a hold of the schematics for pellet stoves, and the science to run them.

Sounds like a late night TV commercial. "It slices, it dices for for only $19.99 you also get..." I'll poke around and find something to read eventually. What I want is to get enough basic knowledge of the appliance, how to keep it clean, what the best pellets are for me to buy in my area, when to buy, how the economics of the industry works, that sort of thing. The owner's manual is useful and I'm starting to dig up more stuff.

It's like your car. Some people do a lot of their own work and that's great for them. I just want to know enough to use it well, get what I paid for and know when I need a pro.

This forum has been great that way. I've learned a lot this first season and it's been fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.