Standard wood boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heaterman

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2007
Falmouth, Michigan
I'm looking for a replacement wood fired boiler for a customer who is in a wheel chair. I'd like to find a forced draft standard boiler for him, not gasification, but about all I see is the Buderus/Attack natural draft model. Does anyone know of another brand that I may be missing?

One other complicating issue is that all his wood, probably 4-5 years worth is 24" in length so the fire box has to be pretty good dimension.

Heaterman,

Have you considered the Seton boiler www.rohor.com ?

Not a forced draft but will the W-130 will handle 24" splits and logs no problem.

Royall, This is a high quality ASME forced draft boiler made in Wisconsin, Randy

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
Actually I'd love to sell him a Garn. For his particular situation nothing could be easier but he doesn't have the space for it and doesn't need something with that much capacity.

It has to be small enough to fit in the space he has for it in his garage. Being that I'm a licensed boiler installer it has to be ASME rated or I get in trouble....... more than I usually am anyhow.

Guy said:
I'd be interested to know what you settle on(even tho it's none of my business)
Guy

Well here's the criteria in order of importance.

1. ASME rated, for reason stated previously
2. Able to operate with minimal user input.
(no 2 stage loading as common with DD gasification units)
3. Low door height due to physical constraints of operator
(he loads it from his wheel chair)
4. Simple and robust design
5. Efficiency
6. Emissions

Bottom line: The guy needs something safe, fits in his spot, easy for him to use with efficiency and emissions taking a back seat.

Hello heaterman
i sent you a P.M. the other day we also have that stove as ul also
thanks

How about a pellet boiler, got to be easier than loading firewood from a wheelchair, much more efficient than a non gasifier ideling, check out the effecta pellet boilers

I agree with the last post. I missed the part about the wheelchair. I would go with a pellet stove instead of wood. If you must do wood a gasser would not be a bad idea with storage because smaller splits and the storage would give you more heating time vs load. I have the energy king 45ekb standard boiler. I love it but I load big rounds and big splits. It might be hard for someone in a chair

couchburner said:
I agree with the last post. I missed the part about the wheelchair. I would go with a pellet stove instead of wood. If you must do wood a gasser would not be a bad idea with storage because smaller splits and the storage would give you more heating time vs load. I have the energy king 45ekb standard boiler. I love it but I load big rounds and big splits. It might be hard for someone in a chair

The guy manages very nicely with cordwood the way he has everything set up. He has about 4-5 years worth cut, split, stacked on pallets and under a roof outside. He hauls them into his garage as he needs them with his little JD tractor and loads the boiler directly from the pallet or rack if you will. Once a year he has a "kegger" and invites all his friends and neighbors over for burgers on the grill. About 20-30 guys show up and process all of his firewood in a single day. He figures is costs him about $400 for burgers, brats and beer annually to get all of his firewood put up. (He has 40 acres of mixed maple and oak).
I don't think pellets are on his radar.......With a setup like that, I wouldn't be thinking about it either.

heaterman said:
couchburner said:

The guy manages very nicely with cordwood the way he has everything set up. He has about 4-5 years worth cut, split, stacked on pallets and under a roof outside. He hauls them into his garage as he needs them with his little JD tractor and loads the boiler directly from the pallet or rack if you will. Once a year he has a "kegger" and invites all his friends and neighbors over for burgers on the grill. About 20-30 guys show up and process all of his firewood in a single day. He figures is costs him about $400 for burgers, brats and beer annually to get all of his firewood put up. (He has 40 acres of mixed maple and oak).
I don't think pellets are on his radar.......With a setup like that, I wouldn't be thinking about it either.

Damn, sounds like a fun time and a helluva neighbor!!

Status
Not open for further replies.