standardized stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ffspeed

Dec 14, 2009
Rome, N.Y.
From what I have read, from reading all the different post. Is a lot of you have the same problem. This kind of pellet, doesn't burn in this kind of stove, or that stove. I can't even start to count the different stove names, and models I have seen posted. Then you add in all the different brains of pellets. About the only control on the stove I have seen is, EPA rating, and UL listing. There are so many different companies making stove, and they are only worried about there bottom end. Then there are the dealers, that are just worried about making a sale. Some them don't even know what they are selling, like your big box stoves. Ask them a question, and they look at you like there is horns growing out of your head, or "I am not sure, it's in the book". If I want to read a book, I will go to the library, not buy a pellet stove. I understand I will need to read the book when I get it home. But I shouldn't have to read it before I buy it. They should be able to answer question about BTU, feed rate, how many lbs per hour, and stuff like that. Or get some one that can to sell them. It really makes me want to buy something, when I know more then the sales person, and I know nothing about the stove, just the basic question the ask.

All of these people need to be held accountable. I should be able to buy pellets, and know they are going to work in my stove. All stove should burn the pellets the same. I can see make good, better, and best pellets, but what about the ones, that don't burn at all.

The main issue with pellets is that when they roll out of the mill they are all generally very good quality. The density gets shot to heck the minute they are started to be stored outside. MOISTURE kills pellets. Rain bags and tarps do nothing to stop the density from being broken down. When a mill, distributor, retail location, and home owner stores pellets outside they are on a downward spiral. There is nothing worse than bad storage.

Eric

Take a look at the St Croix pellet stoves.
I've burned a dozen different types of pellets from hardwood to softwood and I've never had a problem with the stove feeding pellets or the auger getting jammed.
The type of pellet WILL make a difference in how it burns and how clean it will be.

Do your own research and then find a good pellet stove dealer in your area.
If he can answer your questions he's a keeper.

Hate to say it, but these days I think the best best is to educate yourself on ANY major purchase you make (PRIOR to the purchase), be it a car, a stove, appliances, a trip, the list goes on and on. What do you do when the salesperson knows nothing about the product, but just happens to be a good BS artist?

Also allow that some questions are just difficult (if not impossible) to answer. Will this stove heat my house? How much pellets will I use in a year? What will pellets cost next year?, etc....questions like this are difficult, or impossible, to answer accurately, and i would beware of a salesperson who is all too willing to answer them succinctly. We get these questions every day. Would you rather get the truth, or a fabrication, or a guess? Me, I'd rather have the truth, even if the truth is "I dont know"......theres something to be said for a salesperson who is willing to admit they dont know everything.

The OP says he/she "shouldnt have to read (the book) it before I buy it"....but I submit you do exactly that! get an idea how hard something is to service, just whats involved, frequency of cleaning, etc. You can ask the honest salesperson, but really, wouldnt you be better dotting your I's and crossing your T's yourself?

ffspeed said:
From what I have read, from reading all the different post. Is a lot of you have the same problem. This kind of pellet, doesn't burn in this kind of stove, or that stove. I can't even start to count the different stove names, and models I have seen posted. Then you add in all the different brains of pellets. About the only control on the stove I have seen is, EPA rating, and UL listing. There are so many different companies making stove, and they are only worried about there bottom end. Then there are the dealers, that are just worried about making a sale. Some them don't even know what they are selling, like your big box stoves. Ask them a question, and they look at you like there is horns growing out of your head, or "I am not sure, it's in the book". If I want to read a book, I will go to the library, not buy a pellet stove. I understand I will need to read the book when I get it home. But I shouldn't have to read it before I buy it. They should be able to answer question about BTU, feed rate, how many lbs per hour, and stuff like that. Or get some one that can to sell them. It really makes me want to buy something, when I know more then the sales person, and I know nothing about the stove, just the basic question the ask.

All of these people need to be held accountable. I should be able to buy pellets, and know they are going to work in my stove. All stove should burn the pellets the same. I can see make good, better, and best pellets, but what about the ones, that don't burn at all.

AND, there should be one kind of car, and it should take us where we want, when we want, on whatever kind of fuel we wish to feed it, or none if we wish. Have it your way.

I substituted stove references for auto, boat, television, cell phone and heard the same party line. I certainly hope you are not suggesting limiting competition, or forcing business to fit one model. One, it just ain't gonna happen, and 20 It shouldn't happen. The same issues you raise about manufacturers and dealers can be raised about all manufacturing to retail consumer businesses. It still remains a buyer beware market. You have to educate yourself, it is not the obligation of the sellers or makers.

What may help is a book, "Pellet Stoves for Dummies." and all it's related topics......... Mac you listening :cheese:

ffspeed said:

This is one of the whiniest things I think I've ever read...wow. Just get electric heat and drive a Toyota and you'll never need to read a book on either subject. I prefer to study a subject before I make a major financial commitment, I prefer to know more on the subject than the salespeople involved. Do you buy a car and actually expect the salesman to know more about it than you?

Capitalism, do your homework, buy what's best for you. It's what this country is supposed to be about. No to standardization. Get that out of your head. Let's just all become robots and all buy the same thing at the same time, don't have to think about anything or do something different. Standardization is crap.

ffspeed said:

Wow, Sounds like you had a rough experience with an off the wall dealer. We would be glad to answer your questions. You don't really need the dealer to do that. You need the dealer to provide the best service and support for the stove issue's. The gang here at hearth.com can provide additional support and suggestions.

I will answer the one about burning any pellet. Find a multifuel stove( I like the Enviro Omega and the M55) and your done with that problem. But you still will need to figure out what pellet burns the hottest for you and your stove.

See my pellet review for guide lines.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42511/

Relax and settle in here, We are all here for each other and the issue's that may arise.

Take care
jay

Jay, I was wondering where on your stove you take the temp reading? I have a thermometer on pellet stove door.with lumberjack brand pellets I get a max temp of 250 F / With uncle jed's soft wood pellets I get a max temp of 350 F .... I would like to try the okies.. haven't found them in the U.P. yet ~ thanks.........

RAMSAY said:
Jay, I was wondering where on your stove you take the temp reading? I have a thermometer on pellet stove door.with lumberjack brand pellets I get a max temp of 250 F / With uncle jed's soft wood pellets I get a max temp of 350 F .... I would like to try the okies.. haven't found them in the U.P. yet ~ thanks.........

Look at 199 and 214. I have pictures of the location

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42511/P198/

But it doesn't matter where you take it. Really only matters that you take it in the same place every time. You could measure the burnpot temp, Door temp or anyplace feasable for you.

Have fun with it.
jay

Jay, have you ever burned Uncle Jed's? they are the hottest burning pellets I have found around here. people say the softwood's burn hotter but too fast,I'll take the heat any day! I found one thing interesting,I have a scoop that I load my hopper with,I think it's about a gallon, with the lumberjack pellets (80%hardwood 20%softwood)a full scoop weighs 6lbs with the Uncle Jed's all softwood pellets a full scoop weighs 7 lbs! I just found that interesting complete opposite of what you find if dealing with firewood ..thanks Jay..and by the way I think your doing a great job and if you posted a paypal link on your signature I'd buy you a bag of pellets! thanks ~ Troy /// Ramsay...

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 240
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 256
RAMSAY said:
Jay, have you ever burned Uncle Jed's? they are the hottest burning pellets I have found around here. people say the softwood's burn hotter but too fast,I'll take the heat any day! I found one thing interesting,I have a scoop that I load my hopper with,I think it's about a gallon, with the lumberjack pellets (80%hardwood 20%softwood)a full scoop weighs 6lbs with the Uncle Jed's all softwood pellets a full scoop weighs 7 lbs! I just found that interesting complete opposite of what you find if dealing with firewood ..thanks Jay..and by the way I think your doing a great job and if you posted a paypal link on your signature I'd buy you a bag of pellets! thanks ~ Troy /// Ramsay...

Sorry Uncle jeds does not make it out this far east. I would love to try some. A group of you guys could pool together and send me 2 and I will put them in a test for comparing against the east coast pellets. I think you have some of the best mills in the west coast anyway. The 2 bags of the Marth did very well. I liked them enough to buy more.

I am not excepting donations. Really not necessary. I have to buy pellets for heat anyway. The only inconvenience is time. I can afford that. I am usually slow in the winter and bored anyway. But I will except samples for the testing. I am taking with a pellet house to see if they can donate some for testing. Kind of hit a brick wall there. I may start asking the manufacturer's. Don't think I will get far there either. I am just a pellet head testing in the basement. No lab standards or high tech equipment, So I doubt they see my testing as anything valid. More for our little pellet group anyway!

As long as it stays fun I will continue until I have burned every brand there is! Or you guys get sick of me! hehe :lol:

You said before that Marth may be a sleeper,I will try them again I bought 10 bags of them when I bought the stove,I didn't get a good test than it was early fall.I think I'll get a couple bags to try? lots of stores around here carry marth,most guy's I know don't like them for some reason? maybe because there to easy to get? it's like fishing the lake next to home.That lake can't be any good it's to close to home,lets drive a hundred miles..ha ha ..I get back to you,Take care ~Troy

Standardized stoves, what a novel idea, does that also mean that when you see a blower sporting a particular brand name, you can get it by contacting the manufacturer. You see the primary issue I have with these stoves is that everyone and his wife's father's nephew's brother in law has a different part number for the same thingy (technical term) that if you call the manufacturer and ask for xxx-yyy (the part number the manufacturer put on the thingy) they tell you "talk to the stove builder" who in turn tells you "have your dealer get the part". We all know how that sometimes works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.