Standing Dead Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannynelson77

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2010
PA
So I cut down a standing dead Ash that has been dead for a few years, but still had all the bark on it. Its split and stacked. My Harbor Freight moisture meter states its at 30%. Think it will get down to 20% by this winter? Say by January when typically the really cold weather around here hits?

I think you will have a good shot at it, if its in a windy sunny location.

dannynelson77 said:
Its exposed to wind, but only some sun.

full sun is best but "it is what it is"....lol ash you have a good shot and will be some good wood even if its not perfect.

I'd say you have a good shot of it getting down to the mid 20's maybe lower if you're in a dry climate. Mid 20's and it'll burn decent imo.

A dead Ash could be burned the first year, the second year it's primo. You should have no problem with it this fall and winter.

Hard to say . . . if it's all you've got at this point go for it . . . just be aware that it may not be fully seasoned or as seasoned as it should be. Personally, I suspect that since it's an ash and you're cutting it up, splitting and stacking it in a decent enough spot and giving it 7 months of seasoning before use that you should be fine to burn it in January . . . as Andy mentioned if you have any left over for next year you'll see quite a dramatic difference in the burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.