Standing Dead Locust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
Hey guys, I felled a locust this morning only to find what appears to be a dead hollowed out tree.

Should I
A. Cut it, stack it, and burn it in 3 years
B. Walk away and have the farmer dump it in the fence row
C. Cut the obviously dry parts and burn it this winter allowing me to further season what I have.

I'm thinking the fact that it's hollowed may have allowed air flow and significantly dried it. The good news is the second tree I cut was solid the whole way through so no loss.

Attachments

• 20141227_095620.jpg
    20141227_095620.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 454
  • 20141227_095559.jpg
    20141227_095559.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 479
  • 20141227_095542.jpg
    20141227_095542.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 458
Just to set the scene. It's a beautiful 55 degree day out here in Lancaster County Pennsylvania.

Attachments

• 20141227_101241.jpg
    20141227_101241.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 246
premium btus, might even be good to go for the most part. Base area due to wicking will need some drying time. get it in the stacks

I may have miss judged this tree. Premium btus indeed! There are some bone dry sections that I believe I will try to burn, but the majority of it will sit 3 years.

Attachments

• 20141227_103842.jpg
    20141227_103842.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 260
Hi,

This is my first post here but I wanted to respond. I burn a lot of standing dead locust. My dad has a grove of locust and it seems that 2 out of 3 trees grow for 10yrs and then die. It is excellent wood and if it has been standing dead for very longI wouldn't hesitate to burn it this year. Locust is very hard and trees can stand for many years without falling.
If you cut much of it sharpen your chains often though. It is tough stuff.

Reactions: Osagebndr
Pretty simple.... Cut, split, stack and burn. That'll be ready next year for sure. No 2-3 year wait there.

Based off of the pictures, would you call this dead standing? A tree with the whole inside hollowed out. Can it still be considered a live tree?

I have burnt standing dry locust in one year after splitting and stacking. 2 year is the max. It dries out pretty quickly once split. Primo wood out here and one of my favorites.

Speaking of BL.... Today's haul:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419714607.711889.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419714618.127681.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419714629.545000.jpg

What you can't see are the 18" rounds underneath all the smaller stuff. Have the ol' 1/2 ton a workout. :)

Reactions: Lakeside
Yep most of what I have looked like that.

Based off of the pictures, would you call this dead standing? A tree with the whole inside hollowed out. Can it still be considered a live tree?

Yes I would say that was standing dead. From the pictures it looks like woodpeckers may have visited that tree several times. Also, you can normally tell by the bark. If it falls off very easy or was falling off on its own.

Locust seem to attract vines and the vines eventually kill them. It looks like there may have been a vine on this tree as well. Another sign of a dead or soon to be dead tree.

I would split some small and throw a piece on a fire. See how much water it has in it. My guess is it is ready to burn.

Standing dead locust with no bark can usually be cut, split, and burned in the same day. There is absolutely no reason to let that stuff sit for 2 years, it will most likely be under 20% in less than 12 months, if it isn't already.

Reactions: Lakeside
I've burned locust that was dead, fallen over and sitting under leaves for ten years. It was still solid as a rock. Don't waste any of that. Standing dead - burn it next year, no need to wait 2-3 years.

I kinda disagree, leave it stacked and burn what you have first. That stuff lasts forever and doesn't attract bugs. Ihave many species that have been stacked for more than 4 years and the locust has not changed a bit.

Reactions: CenterTree
My black locust that is 2 years split burns the worst out of everything I have so far, so I am waiting for next year to burn it......just me.....

20141230_211537_LLS.jpg I think it's very clear that the Ideal Steel is satisfied with the dead standing locust. It feels like summer in here!

Just loaded my stove moments ago, top to bottom with 2-year-seasoned BL. Been burning nothing but for about 2-3 weeks, and have enough to get me into the end of February. Stuff is gold.

Reactions: osagebow
Love it. little goes a long way.

Love locust, my favorite wood to burn.

Great stuff. I like it mote than oak. To me oak cut green takes 4 years to really season. Locust is a nice dense wood, that even burns better when you mix it with maple or cherry.

Status
Not open for further replies.