Standing dead Locusts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JOHN BOY

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2012
Western Mountains ,NC
Gotts small load of standing dead BL today, got it home and it kinda beat me up a lil. I dont get much BL. but when i do its usually fresh and splits easily. Did the fact that this was kinda dead with the bark falling off and a smidge of it starting to dry out have anything do do with it be a little tuff to split..?

ok i'll post pic's later of the wood..:cool:

I get a lot of dead standing, leaning or just off the ground., stuff that's been dead for years. It's a little tougher unless the grain is straight. I get mostly the straight grain stuff but some twisted, I just beat the hell out of it till it gives in... IMAG1685a.JPGIMG00141-20091212-1432.jpgIMAG1753a.JPG
I'm going to tacklt that curvy one in the last picture tomorrow. I stay away from severely twisted stuff...Those really old trees are still pretty inside and pretty dry.

Yeah, took a lot of walking but worth the effort. Cheers.

I don't care how hard or knarly it is........I take locust however I can get it. One of the best woods you can burn.

We went to a costume party at my buddy's place last night and he was throwing black locust splits (big ones, at that) into the campfire. I could have cried.

This locust wasn't dead , but pretty straight and split kind of easy.
still a good workout though.
Take care,
TimDSCF2971.JPG

Love the look of locust. Love handling it, splitting it and burning it. Great wood. Good job.

Reactions: blujacket
Scotty, someone has to ask so I guess it will be me. What did you dress up as ?
You're not gonna believe it.............GEORGE W. BUSH!

I'm not a GW fan, either. But it was funny, because my buddy is a BO fan and it was an inside joke. He almost pi$$ed himself laughing when I got out of the car in his driveway........we had a blast and I still have a headache as I type this.

Reactions: albert1029 and zap
Gotts small load of standing dead BL today, got it home and it kinda beat me up a lil. I dont get much BL. but when i do its usually fresh and splits easily. Did the fact that this was kinda dead with the bark falling off and a smidge of it starting to dry out have anything do do with it be a little tuff to split..?

ok i'll post pic's later of the wood..:cool:
Number 1 take it all even the gnarly ones you'll figure out a way to split em.The bark falling off is an indication it's in the drying process when you find one with no bark standing its ready to burn in most cases.Air dried can't beat it.

You're not gonna believe it.............GEORGE W. BUSH!

I'm not a GW fan, either. But it was funny, because my buddy is a BO fan and it was an inside joke. He almost pi$$ed himself laughing when I got out of the car in his driveway........we had a blast and I still have a headache as I type this.

You need to post a picture for us GW

Reactions: ScotO
I don't care how hard or knarly it is........I take locust however I can get it. One of the best woods you can burn.

We went to a costume party at my buddy's place last night and he was throwing black locust splits (big ones, at that) into the campfire. I could have cried.

Oh its definately going into the stove., id never use it for camp fire.

Number 1 take it all even the gnarly ones you'll figure out a way to split em.The bark falling off is an indication it's in the drying process when you find one with no bark standing its ready to burn in most cases.Air dried can't beat it.

I took all i could get on the truck, iam gonna go back and get as much as i can again. Heard to get locust in the mountains. Usually only grows close to rivers around here and not very common.

Will warm you up twice but be worth it in the end.
Nice score.

I look for BL everywhere now that I know what it looks like, its all around me just not on my property

locust is plentiful here...and for some reason there is just as many dead as living...i burn a ton of locust...the rewards out weigh the bad..the only bad i c is it stinks when u split it..no biggie...and its not great to start a fire with...no biggie either...but its the best for overnighters..

locust is plentiful here...and for some reason there is just as many dead as living...
same here where I am in SW PA...heard the moonshiners like it because it burns so hot and has so little smoke when seasoned...doesn't draw attention to the process...

Status
Not open for further replies.