Standing Dead Oak can really be seasoned

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

golfandwoodnut

Minister of Fire
I posted these pics on another post but thought some of you might want to see them. I am getting good with my Bobcat, blury cell picture shows how I pulled a standing dead Oak up a steep hill with my grapple forks to a level area. Then I cut them into 80 inch logs and carried them home. I then cut them to 20 inch rounds and split a few. They seemed really dry and I decided to put the moisture meter on them. The highest reading I got was 15, even at the base of the tree. Where it is usually the most wet. Here is a piece I randomly picked and took a shot of. Only 9 percent. I think this may be some of the driest wood I have. I tried some on Friday to take the chill off and was amazed how easily it lit and how well it burned. No noticeable smoke out of the chimney. So I guess it can happen that some Oak can be cut and burned. It must be a miracle. Most ot the dead Oaks I have are from the gypsy moths that killed them 20 years ago.

Second picture is the logs still with a little bark. The third is showing a random split at only 9 percent moisture.

Attachments

• logmover2.jpg
    logmover2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 346
  • OAK1.jpg
    OAK1.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 368
  • OAK3.jpg
    OAK3.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 355
I've cut some dead logs that seemed really dry (no moisture meter, so I can't give numbers), and some that looked about the same but were pretty wet. I cut a standing dead Chestnut Oak last year that seemed wetter than a live tree, and probably still is today after a year in the stacks. You must know how to pick 'em.

I've got some dead red oak just like that on my property but usually they are a little smaller than what you've got there. I typically find a living red oak with a smaller off shoot that is dead and dry. I go out in September/October hunting for them with the saw and throw the wood right in the stacks for that season.

Status
Not open for further replies.