Standing dead Oak score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy S.

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Southeastern, PA
I'm definitely at the three-year mark now. The same tree service that dropped a load of Pine rounds one day followed a a load of Maple logs a couple of days later just dropped off this batch of standing dead Oak. He says it was from a neighbor's tree that was standing dead for "10 years and is definitely ready to burn." I plan on splitting it this weekend. Can't wait to check it with the MM.

Attachments

• 20141104_153435_resized.jpg
    20141104_153435_resized.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 328
Nice score. Looks like a fair sized tree. Our tree services around here have been keeping everything everything they cut as more people here are turning to wood heat

Been about a year since I've scored from a tree service. A sigh of the times in our area. ;hm

Ha! Although my wife would agree that I spend enough time there to call it home, that is my business. She"d never stand for the pallets at home. :)

Reactions: Paulywalnut
I guarantee you it isn't ready to burn.

I'm with you Hog. If it was dead as long as he said I'm hoping for 30% and possible use next year.

Yeah with bark still on it I would guess 30-35%. It does seem to dry better/faster than live standing from what I'm seeing in my stacks. I have some that is down to 20-22% that I css buy the middle of April. This was all wood above the first y though. The trunk sections MIGHT be dry by next fall.

MM reading will be higher than you think. That oak just retains that moisture until it is actually split and stacked. I'll guess 28%. Great score though. Your reward for patience is great heat in two years.:)

32%... I have hopes for next year since I'm splitting it small but expectations for '16/'17.

Attachments

• 20141109_114538_resized.jpg
    20141109_114538_resized.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 120
Status
Not open for further replies.