Standing dead trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ddug

Nov 26, 2010
SW New Mexico
I have several dead standing trees on my property, some of them oak. I'm not exactly sure how to judge but they look as if they have been dead many years, I've owned the property five years and they looked just as old then.

Is this good fuel? I am in the SW (very dry) and it is not rotted, but very hard.

I would think it would be pretty good, even better if you got it split and stack for a while.

I dont know if i would try burning it or not. The farm I have been cutting on has TONS of trees that are piled up in piles all over the place. 90% of it is hedge, I'd say they have all been down the same amount of time. Almost all of the hedge I have cut on a fresh split will read from 10 to 18% on my MM. The oak I cut about a month ago read 34% at the base and about 30% toward the top of the tree on fresh splits. Tree didnt have any bark on it what so ever and the hedge still have their bark. This is just my experience. Good Luck

I've had some old red oak dead standing here.
hard as a rock but burned great

bark was looooong gone and the wood was quite weathered.
Sat for a while and the wood never turned grey like green cut usually does.
was weird, stayed that same reddish brownish color.

well I need something to do tomorrow so I think I'll sharpen a few chains and give it a go. I can't imagine they would be anything but super dry with the wind and sub 10% humidity here but I suppose I'll find out.

Let us know what you come up with. Pics if possible :) I always forget the camera

I burn almost exclusively standing dead. The remainder is fallen dead.

The only standing dead in my area that I feel comfortable burning right away is elm. In addition, the elm trunk still has moisture in it. I cut down a hollowed out dead oak this fall and it won't be burned until next year. I do agree with those that think the "moisture" in standing dead seems to season better than fresh cut green wood.

I burn standing dead all the time, (usually oak that was dead for quite a few years). Many times the moisture content is higher than you would think, and higher than 20 % but..... they do seem to season quickly after bucked up. Tops burn away, but bases need some wind and sun.

Down there in the dry air things may be different and more advantageous to your immediate need.

Up here I go by the 1/3 rule. For a minimum winter time activity I cut and heat with dead trees. The top third will burn well right away, the middle third once split has to spend a day around the stoves hearth. The bottom third...well that all depends. Yeah these are mostly small trees too.

Hey if you have dead trees on your place it's always a good idea to cut 'em anyway.

savage, things are very different down here. Forests are basically concentrated around the mountainous areas and are nowhere near as dense as yours. It's almost unconscionable to cut down a living tree for firewood here. If I'm out gathering and see someone doing it, I make sure they understand the consequences of what they're doing.

Precaud, in your area I'm guessing that oak and the other trees will be great firewood for you. Cut away! If there is any punk, just cut that part off until you get good stuff.

Not much oak around here, Dennis. Only small patches of scrub oak, and they have mostly been decimated years ago. You're right, probably 15% of what I get is punky on the outside, solid on the inside. Burns great. The commercial wood cutters won't touch those trees for obvious reasons. Their loss, my gain. :)

Yup. That is making good use of the wood. Get all you can!

Around here (which is quite different from south west New Mexico as you might imagine) some standing dead can be burned in just a few weeks, some wood needs to season a few months and some wood needs to go the full year (kind of like what Savage said) . . . and of course there are some standing dead trees that are too far gone to be much use to anyone but bugs and birds.

As always . . . be very careful when cutting standing dead wood . . . dead branches, wood that doesn't hold as well, etc. can prove dangerous . . . I am always more careful when dealing with standing dead wood.

CodyWayne718 said:
I dont know if i would try burning it or not. The farm I have been cutting on has TONS of trees that are piled up in piles all over the place. 90% of it is hedge, I'd say they have all been down the same amount of time. Almost all of the hedge I have cut on a fresh split will read from 10 to 18% on my MM. The oak I cut about a month ago read 34% at the base and about 30% toward the top of the tree on fresh splits. Tree didnt have any bark on it what so ever and the hedge still have their bark. This is just my experience. Good Luck

Why would you hesitate to burn this wood? Obviously the oak is not ready to burn. It may have blown its bark, which is great, but once you split it and give it a couple of years to season in stacks, it ought to be perfect. I wouldn't hesitate a second with that wood.

The wood might be so dry and light, it could take off on him, into the wild blue yonder... stove and all... you never know. ;-)

precaud said:
The wood might be so dry and light, it could take off on him, into the wild blue yonder... stove and all... you never know. ;-)

Well, if the oak is 30% or so, like he says, It's definitely not too dry and will probably be quite heavy. I've never burned hedge/osage/bois d'arc - whatever it's called in your area) but yes, 10% might be too dry.

To dry ? Naw just get some woodchucks to throw it in a pond. Then it will be ready to go.

I would burn it at 10-18%. Now I wouldn't load up the stove with it, but I would not be afraid of it, do a smallish load, see what happens, adjust load size, rinse and repeat.

Even at 10% I would not fear burning it.

I burn the hedge, I was just stating how long oak keeps its moisture. Not sure what the joke was or how everyone got hung up on one thing. I thought he was sayin the standing dead were all oak. I see now that it says a few of them are oak. Oak was all I was talking about here. Sorry this thread got thrown all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.