standing dead wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Occo370

Jan 23, 2010
Jersey Shore
ok ive been offered a cherry tree from a friend who is taking it down. he needs help with the ground work though, thats where i come in. he said its a standing dead cherry tree with no leaves left. with your guys experience is this wood going to be rotted or will it be good enough to burn. i know noone will no until the tree is down, but from past experiences please respond.

I've been getting lots of standing dead cherry for the past few years. Much of it has an inch of outer punk under the bark, but a solid core. Occasional the top half of the tree may be too far gone, but the trunks have been solid. Even the slightly punky stuff has been burning (and smelling) great. Dries out pretty quick in the sun, too.

That cherry should be cheery! Go and cut.

branchburner said:
I've been getting lots of standing dead cherry for the past few years. Much of it has an inch of outer punk under the bark, but a solid core. Occasional the top half of the tree may be too far gone, but the trunks have been solid. Even the slightly punky stuff has been burning (and smelling) great. Dries out pretty quick in the sun, too.

+1 I helped a friend last week take a standing dead cherry down. Top limbs were a little to punky to use but the rest was just fine.

I found a small stand of mostly standing dead cherry trees on my property. Some were obviosly to far gone but some seemed ok so I cut them. They were very hit or miss. Some had small ring of punk on the outside but mostly dry solid wood. A few of them were mostly punk with a small core of solid wood in the middle. I left the mostly rotted stuff and stacked the rest, which was lucky most of it, with this winters wood. Even tried a few pieces in the stove one chilly night and it burned great.

You probably won't know if the tree is any good untill you cut into it.

Well. We felled that cherry today. Wood was perfect I filled ip my Nissan frontier an part of the trailer. Good score for an hours work. Also I picked up some nice oak from a friend in town ( another truck full ). How long does cherry take to season

Standing dead, shouldn't take more than 6 or 7 months to get down near 20%. I split some in April that is 22% now, 34% when it was split.

His cherry was about 1 face cord. I got an oak that is about a cord .... Atleat 2/3rds

Status
Not open for further replies.