Standing Logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Well, I had 4-5 trees that had blown over and were either 1/2 down or down for 2 years. Finally got to bucking them up. Some of the trees had still sprouted leaves, but not like they normally would. Split the wood yesterday and I would say that they are definatly drier than a healthy standing tree. If i had remembered that I actually owned a darned moisture meter I would have tested them!

I have a bunch of oak trees that died over the winter.
Do you think they would be dry enough to burn this coming winter if I cut and split them now?

depends on what died means. Did they sprout leaves this spring?

If you split them smaller they'll dry faster...but everything I've read here say Oak needs 2 years to dry. I've never burned any...but over the last 4 years I have taped off about 75-100 saplings that came out of nowhere. Well there was a mother oak tree I never knew I had, been driving by it for years but it was so tall I just never noticed the leaves. btw it's white oak.

Adirondackwoodburner I take it you're holding off having a pro logger harvest your trees Huh?

I burned some white oak a few years back. Better than red oak if you ask me. Yeah, basically anything I am splitting right now is being split smaller to make sure it has more of a chance to dry out. I am a good month behind, I typically always have al my wood stacked the first day in May.
Projected to log mid November

No new leaves this year. Still has brown leaves from last fall. An area with about 10 dead trees in my wooded yard.
Not sure what killed them.

if you buck it up and split it alittle smaller than usual I bet its ready by November.

Thanks guys. Guess I'll cut it up and check the moisture.

boy it is. I had a few short logs that were bucked up from three years ago and I bucked them itno smaller pieces. much harder to do once dry!

Status
Not open for further replies.