Standing pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darkz71

Sep 9, 2013
Mass Black Stone Valley
I hope someone knows the answer to this. I just started scrounging wood after not burning for a few years due to life problems. I've ordered a stove insert (vc Merrimack) and started my wood gathering realizing I will probably have to buy some wood this year because of my late start although I hope not to need to buy beyond. One thing I was counting on was a pair of pines roughly 50 feet high in my yard that look dead but not rotted. They have been here for at least two years (my time) and I would not be surprised if they have been here and dead double or more than that. The bark is off the top 40 feet and I assumed that because they were standing they were potentially not rotted and burn able. Tonight I went out to take a moisture reading and decide to poke the bark for a better reading. The more I poked the more it seemed rotted. I ended up pulling out a splitting maul (it was handy) to give few smacks and see what was there. It very soft under the bark. To make it worse the trees are in a spot that will require a pro to take down unless I want to destroy part of my house. My big question is would anyone experienced know whether I should expect the upper sections to be in better shape than the trunks?

Hard to say, not knowing the species or the environment. The lowest portion of the trunk will stay wet longer than the upper portions. May be some good wood further up. Pine in general does not keep all that well unless it's C/S/S. In any event, the trees have to come down before they do it on their own. Probably best not to wait.

The tops should stay drier & solid - from experience down here the sap wood at the base turns punky/bug infested first.

Reactions: red oak
Welcome to the forum darkz71.

I agree that the top of those trees very well might be burnable. I'd hate to be the one cutting them though. I hate those type as it is easy to get into trouble cutting them. For sure you want someone with experience.

Reactions: red oak
I'd get them down like others have stated before them come down by themselves. Get them C/S/S and use it . Let it dry out its better then nothing Maybe buy a cord from a good none wood supplier and mix the 2 for burns . Oh yea ..welcome to the forum , great people here ! pull up a milk crate and hang out ;)

Be careful with that hammering on a dead tree with a maul, especially when you say the wood is soft. You sure don't want to be knocking something loose up top that comes showering down on you. My biggest concern when cutting trees that have been dead for a time is that the shock of the tree starting to fall might break something loose up top that I can't outrun! Or maybe not even see coming down on me. As for whether the wood will be of use as firewood, I would guess it will be. Even punky wood can burn once it is cut, split, stacked, and dried. When you go to split it the soft outer wood will likely break off and the heart wood will make good firewood.

I agree that you should get someone experienced to take those trees down if they are a threat to any property. As for the wood, the bottom might be rotten but I bet there is some usable wood toward the top. It also should dry fairly quickly - I took down a dead pine recently and it burned great after 2 months split and stacked. Mix pine with hardwoods for the best results, pine tends to burn hot and fast, the hardwoods will last longer. And welcome!

Yep maybe buy a cord and mix it with the hopefully dry pine you have. Put the stacked wood in a windy and sunny location if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.