Standing Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
This will probably be VERY easy for most of you, but can anyone tell me what tree this is? I'm assuming it will be being cleared soon and I want to know how hard to fight for the wood. :D

Attachments

• IMG_1571_small.jpg
    IMG_1571_small.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 437
Shagbark.........

I figured that would be simple. :)

Thanks. When it comes to ID-ing trees, I make a really good fisherman.

brianbeech said:
I figured that would be simple. :)

Thanks. When it comes to ID-ing trees, I make a really good fisherman.

Same here....But that an awesome score!

Yep, shagbark hickory, primo firewood, practically non-existent in my state :long:

It is indeed shagbark, wish we had more of those around here to cut. That will be some great firewood, but I do hate to take down a tree like that as well unless it has to go.

Might be a big fight. Put on some padding and fight for that stuff.

top-shelf firewood.
excellent for tool handles, tomahawks, hide scrapers, etc.
extremelly good bow wood.
fantastic for cooking on
that trunk looks clean too. i'm drooling.

OT

Wow! With all these great reviews of the Shagbark, I may have to plant some of these trees.

brianbeech said:
Wow! With all these great reviews of the Shagbark, I may have to plant some of these trees.

Very slow grower,you wont be around to see them at maturity but your grandkids will be close to retirement by then...Worth the wait & any effort harvesting and/or milling them however.

Thistle said:
brianbeech said:

Very slow grower,you wont be around to see them at maturity but your grandkids will be close to retirement by then...Worth the wait & any effort harvesting and/or milling them however.

Yeah, I looked that up after posting that. I guess I'll plant some of those elsewhere - someone one day will be really glad I planted it. :)

I've only cut 5 live Hickories in the past 20 yrs.From small to very large,all had major damage from various storms or disease.Maybe see 3-4 dead ones a year,those are dropped soon as I get the opportunity.Quite valuable to wildlife around here,hoping to get a bucketfull of nuts before the squirrels grab them all.

Thistle said:
I've only cut 5 live Hickories in the past 20 yrs.From small to very large,all had major damage from various storms or disease.Maybe see 3-4 dead ones a year,those are dropped soon as I get the opportunity.Quite valuable to wildlife around here,hoping to get a bucketfull of nuts before the squirrels grab them all.

I could have sworn hickories, well some varieties, are fast growers.... They live long but fast.

Fight for that one, one of the better ones we have around here. I have several in my yard, I have one thats been growing through a stone wall and knocking the stones off, I may cut it to make room for the smaller ones to grow away from the wall. Squirrels make a mess in the lawn with the husk from the nuts, I wish they would clean up after themselves :lol:

If you can get that one, you will have hit the jackpot. Gotta be better than 2/3 cord there. It's one of the best woods you can get. I get more Pignut Hickory, which is almost as good, but the Shagbarks don't die often here.

Status
Not open for further replies.