Start of my pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I am going to have the up pipe in the house 5 feet then shoot it out the side of my house I don't want to look at that pipe on the outside of the house
And I love the look of the black pipe inside

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am going to have the up pipe in the house 5 feet then shoot it out the side of my house I don't want to look at that pipe on the outside of the house
And I love the look of the black pipe inside

That's fine. Plus a little more heat from that pipe (it does get quite warm) will stay in the house. Just watch your clearances to soffit, upstairs windows etc. There is a gap inside the thimble between the thimble wall and the pipe. I filled mine with roxul insulation as where I live it gets very cold and without that I would have condensation issues. Roxul does not burn so it is fine to use for this. Also carefully sealed the thimble face plate on both the inside and out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lloyd the redneck
Up and out almost never has smoke in house,unless hard wind hitting the house on that side,while power went out.I see no mention of on OAK?Also,if you have never cut into a wall,reccomend ask a friend who has for advise/help.

A oak will be installed
Cutting into the wall is easy part
Mounting and sealing the thimble is where I am confused
Some say our insulation right up to the thimble
Others say leave that space open so the thimble can breathe

Reactions: Lloyd the redneck
most thimbles need/require a box framework.Most do not allow insulation in the airspace around where the pipe slides through,will be listed in the instructions.

A oak will be installed
Cutting into the wall is easy part
Mounting and sealing the thimble is where I am confused
Some say our insulation right up to the thimble
Others say leave that space open so the thimble can breathe

You want insulation right up to the thimble all around. leaving a gap is only a heat loss plus you will have condensation issues when it gets cold. The purpose of the thimble is to keep the hot pipe away from any combustible part of the wall.

Looks like you are going to use duravent,so non-flammable insulation is approved,such as rockwool.Mine has none,as the space around the pipe is my oak.

It's getting there all cords will be moved to other outlet behind the tv
Going to need some help moving this thing
Ordered the pipe
Any tips to installing the pipe and Thimble?

Measure twice or three times cut once. Don't forget to check for studs location

Stocking up on pellets
fc510d5a6e2fd422442991cef343e2c6.jpg

looks good so far..
should have built my own but too lazy..lol
paid a few bucks for this one

I really like that hearth pad, and leaves an intact floor if it ever gets taken up.

can you tell me where you got it?

Lookin great

It's getting there
Wife is really happy so far lol
Temps are drop here in New York should be running by Friday can't wait

Try as many different pellets as you can and see what burns best for your set up.