Start of the pellet war?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
iceman said:
imacman said:
ewdudley said:
Just curious, home heating fuels such as natural gas, fuel oil, propane, and wood pellets are currently exempt from the state sales tax in New York State. Are all retailers aware of this?

Not exactly true. They may be exempt from STATE tax, but there are quite a few local towns & counties in NY that do tax wood pellets. Scroll to the last section of this document:

www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/publications/sales/pub718r.pdf

Yeah ny taxes, I was up buying firewood for camping and the guy charged me tax! I was like wtf! A dollar for town fees and tax off of 15 bucks? .... Buying by the bundle at 15 for a total of $16 a piece! .... Then they wonder why people still bring their own wood!

Pretty depressing.

lesoil I checked the SIB on the web site and he is charging $224 for MWP and $292 for the Okies. Both of these are up from last Fall/Spring.

Happened to be at Lowe's in Kingston today and saw pellets advertised for $3.94 / bag. Comes out to $197 / ton. Can't exactly remember the name of them... but, I recall they were a hardwood/softwood mix.
Just in case anyones interested.

Jaugust124 said:
Happened to be at Lowe's in Kingston today and saw pellets advertised for $3.94 / bag. Comes out to $197 / ton. Can't exactly remember the name of them... but, I recall they were a hardwood/softwood mix.
Just in case anyones interested.

Just spoke to the guy in lawn & garden....he read the bag and they're "North American Pellets".....Jay Takeman did a review of these on WoodPelletReviews and they are re-bagged Curran's. Seem to be a lower-middle grade pellet....probably decent for shoulder seasons, IMO.

http://woodpelletreviews.com/Takeman-Reviews/North-American.html

HD in North Windham, CT has pellets for 197 a ton. Not sure as to the brand will find out tomorrow.

Woo hoo! HD in Londonderry, NH has Stove Chow for $197 a ton! They currently have about 20 tons and expect more in the next day or two. Time to pick up another ton or so to round out our 2011-2012 supply.

Long live the pellet price wars!

I went by the HD in North Windham. There's a sign by the road, but I did not see any pellets on site. They're usually right in front of the store. An associate said they were selling Fireside brand.

They said yesterday they would be getting them intoday. Monday I called and they said energex. And stove chow will see what they get

Its stove chow have a ton in my truck

The date on the TON of Stove Chow i unloaded this evening was 6-11. Thats all that HD in North Windham has right now, not sure what or when the next shipment they will be getting in next.

Ordered 6 tons today from HD in Portsmouth, NH. $197/ton Maine Woods Pellets, from Athens ME. $65 delivery charge.

Lowes in Newburgh has the above mentioned Northern Wood pellets for $197/ton. I wonder if the 10% coupon is still available in the Post Office movers packet? That would bring it down to $177....I might snatch a ton at that price. Oink

Grabbed 3 bags to test in the fall.

Hey imacman. Sorry for delay in reply, I have been hanging in mostly in some of the bass forums. Trying to keep a leg up on my kid. He's making it tough on the old man lately in our weekend pop and son fishing tourneys! Check out one of his latest monster catches!

The Lowes movers kits have been hit or miss on the 10%. Most of what I get is $25 off of $250. Its still 10% off, But higher amount needed to spend to get it. Works fine for 2 tons. Are these the bear on the bag northerns, Like sisters to Cubex?

Attachments

• forum picture.jpg
    forum picture.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 299
j-takeman said:
.....Are these the bear on the bag northerns, Like sisters to Cubex?

No, these are ones you reviewed in WoodPelletReview that are made by Curran....re-bagged.

BTW, tell your son NICE FISH!! His father needs a few pointers on how to land the big ones :lol:

Attachments

• ce43e0138300eb98aad587492745826b_M.jpg
    ce43e0138300eb98aad587492745826b_M.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 252
imacman said:
j-takeman said:
.....Are these the bear on the bag northerns, Like sisters to Cubex?

No, these are ones you reviewed in WoodPelletReview that are made by Curran....re-bagged.

BTW, tell your son NICE FISH!! His father needs a few pointers on how to land the big ones :lol:

:cheese: I take that as I tought him well! :cheese: I am very proud of him and his patiance!

North Americans did OK, But the dang crayon smell miffed me!

Status
Not open for further replies.