start of the spring shoulder season?? NOT!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Winter doesn't seem to want to give up around here. We have more snow on the ground now than we had all Winter long and the temps are 10 degrees below average. Looks like more snow today, tomorrow and Monday with high temps right around freezing. I've burned through 3 cords of Oak and it looks like I'll go through another half cord or so.

With the windchill we hit 1 degree this morning, the cherry is still heating the house.

With the last batch of pineapples that blew in we have not been below 50F at night. We didn't hit that mark last year until late May!

The sun is up long enough that shoulder season has started. Outside it dropped to the mid 20s last night but a small fire this morning and the full sun hitting the house had it back into the 70s in no time. Small fire in the morning and another around dinner time...

KaptJaq

With the last batch of pineapples that blew in we have not been below 50F at night.

Local colloquialism? I did not understand that statement at all.

We had some very heavy bands of lake effect snow come through the past 24 hours, this morning one came through right before I went to work and dropped over 2" of snow in 30 minutes.......made the roads treacherous!! That was the worst winter driving I have seen in many years, it caught the road crews totally off guard.....

Looks like I'll be bringing another two-week load of wood into the basement tomorrow evening.......no real warm-up anywhere in sight!

We had that snow move through here too Scott but it is all gone now. Sunny days finally around here helps a lot. They were forecasting 1-3" snow tomorrow night but have backed off that already. Maybe an inch. Sounds good to me. I'm ready to have the frost out and then the ground firm up a bit. Ready for some spring work.

Reactions: chvymn99
I let my stove go out since it was staying a steady 65 in the house with just the sun. Last I heard about the weather was several days of 50 or more,then I wake up to snow on the ground and the sound of the heat kicking on.....not happy.

It's supposed to be 18 with wind here tonight and I'm trying to heat my rental with this:

Atlantic.JPG

We've been doing a small fire (1/4-1/3 load) in the morning and letting it go out until about 9pm when I do a full size load for the night for the past couple of weeks, we have tons of South facing windows that give us lots of passive solar.

It's a good thing too, we're almost out of wood!

We burned WAY more than we needed to in the fall during our initial learning curve, we're getting lots of heat out of very little now in those small morning fires...

EDIT: We're not almost out of wood, I have 5 cords for next year that I'm not touching!

Reactions: Trilifter7
Finally got the whole house up to a nice 70! Been using the Hampton HI300 insert 24/7 since mid December and have not been able to do that before. And now I go 6 hrs between reloads during the day. Also able to turn the blower to 'low' now.
Holy crap, I wouldn't be able to survive if I couldn't get my house to the low to mid 80s.:) I can't imagine going all winter and not getting above 70 in the house. Of course if you like it that cold then its no big deal

We had some very heavy bands of lake effect snow come through the past 24 hours, this morning one came through right before I went to work and dropped over 2" of snow in 30 minutes.......made the roads treacherous!! That was the worst winter driving I have seen in many years, it caught the road crews totally off guard.....

Looks like I'll be bringing another two-week load of wood into the basement tomorrow evening.......no real warm-up anywhere in sight!
Well I thought you wanted snow, course when you have to drive in it with all the crazies that's another story. Better watch what you ask for;)

This is the "tease" season.
I've let the fire go out several times, then regretted doing it. When it's 25-30 out and the stove hasn't been running, the house temp of 68-69 feels chilly.
It's weird, I tell ya'.....weird.
We're on the downhill slide now.......for a couple months.>>
Same here, spoiled over the weekend too. It was only 40’s and windy today. I was complaining I was cold just a little while ago and my husband reminded me it was 70 and the stove hadn't been on more than a few hours now since we have contractors out fixing the roof.
Funny how 68 was "warm" when the furnace used to be on, now I'm spoiled by TRUE, warmed to by bones warmth ;)

Just burning punks and uglies now. Lit the stove tonight since we had persistent northwest winds that chilled me outside at work today. Pretty much let the boiler take over. No shame, I'm saving the good stuff for the cold weather next season.

Lets see, last fri/sat we got blasted w another 24" of snow, then monday thru yesterday was 50F and it all melted. Now it's 20F with wind chill of 6F. Stove is running and filled with Okies.

I know this is the Wood stove section but either way I'm still burning too
regardless of what I'm burnin. ;)

Local colloquialism? I did not understand that statement at all.

We are coastal. When a strong low over the Pacific that originates around Hawaii blows warm air our way it's called the Pineapple Express. This year we are collecting lots of sweet pineapples.

5::F at 0430 this morning. It will probably get near zero at daylight. Bad for maple syrup operations!

Reactions: ScotO
Funny how 68 was "warm" when the furnace used to be on, now I'm spoiled by TRUE, warmed to by bones warmth ;)

Ain't that the truth!! Therm set at 65 and auto to 60 at night back when I was burning propane. Always chilly with DBL sweatshirts on and felt like it was cookin' in here when I went out on a limb and bumped it up to 68. Now if it is not 70+ I am bummed.

Spring is poking it's head out here in Mid-Michigan and I have been burning up junk that won't fit with the perfect splits. Small hot fires 2x daily seem to be holding the temps but I am not convinced it is over. Michigan typically gives up winter slowly with a week of late March early April deep freeze and snow. Another month and I will be shutting the 30 down and cleaning it up for the off-season - I hope :)

But winter will still be poking around too Bob. Snow tonight and more early next week and......

Agreed, Dennis. But I think the worst is behind us. I can let my fire go nearly out with it remaining 70+ in here with the long hours of sunshine - or at least day light - sun is intermittent at best this time of year.

For sure you are right Bob. What we get from here on out will be more nuisance than anything.

Reactions: ScotO
Is this the same guy that wanted some winter for the last 3 months ? I have just under 1/2 a cord on the patio when that is gone the boiler will take over. 60.00 nat. gas budget (hot water heat,hot water,kitchen stove and gas heater in the garage) and generally I am paid ahead of the budget in early spring so I get small bills spring and summer. BUT YES I AM READY FOR SPRING. Not ready to mow yet though until I get all the wood split. 35 with cold rain here today and forcast shows some teens at night for next week, the wood heat feels real nice.

Reactions: Ashful and ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.