start of the spring shoulder season?? NOT!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the same guy that wanted some winter for the last 3 months ?
Hehehe, beat me to it LP.
Relaxation tablet Scotty, it'll be over soon.;)
We've got another week before we get into steady upper 30's-40's, then the real fun begins......mud.
Oh, and let's not forget the ticks.:mad:
Snow and cold doesn't sound so bad now.

Reactions: ScotO
Oh said:
Did ya have to remind me? I hate them. Especially the Lyme disease ticks. Time to get the dogs protected for the spring.

Damn, I screwed up that post! Was quoting PapaDave talking about the upcoming arrival of the thawed out ticks. Need another cup of coffee.

Reactions: PapaDave
Last Saturday I was standing on my roof in a t-shirt sweeping the liner, today it's snowing and the fire is lit again. I had everything put away for the season.

TE

Last Saturday I was standing on my roof in a t-shirt sweeping the liner, today it's snowing and the fire is lit again. I had everything put away for the season.

TE
I won't be cleaning up and "shutting down" until the middle of May. I've seen springs like this before. I have a bad feeling we're gonna have a cold, wet summer......

Reactions: chvymn99
I'm only a weekend burner with an insert that's probably too big for a house with poor layout for airflow so I can't consider lighting a fire if temps are going over 50 in the daytime.

TE

We only got a couple inches but no thawing today.

Say it ain't so, Scotty!
I hope I am wrong, but we're long overdue.....
I look at how the jetstream was all winter long (southwesterly flow). and the past several weeks it's been a northwesterly......
I hope it doesn't stay like that.

If I had put everything away at the first sign of warm weather, there would be icicles hanging in the house, and I'd be dead.
Oh, but not dead from freezing.....my wife would have done me in, then called an HVAC company.>>

I finally got the first fire back in the house with the newly replaced stove today. Suppose to get slush tonight, back to 30's and 40's again for a while.

I'm hopeing your correct Scotty, about the wetness. We need the moisture even if it puts off my gardening for a bit. With the drought that we had last summer, we need the moisture.

Well, almost!! With the super warm weekend we had, I let the fire go the whole way down both Saturday and Sunday ......but rekindled it each evening with a couple of splits. Yesterday morning, I threw on a couple small splits of ash and told my wife to let it go out.......reluctantly. But I figured I may as well consider starting our spring shoulder season (nightly or bi-nightly fires). We've had a continuous fire since late October in the 1900p, so technically this would be our second fire. But to my surprise, when I came home from work, there was still a handful of hot coals in the stove, and she was complaining how "cold" the house was (for Pete's sake it was down to a bone-chilling 69° in the house!). So I got some pine kindling and restarted it to keep her happy. So I'm STILL on my winter burn, after all!! With temps dropping again for at least the remainder of the week or longer, looks like the stove will still be working 24/7 for a while longer.

View attachment 96613 View attachment 96614 View attachment 96615
Down to single digits again tonight, looks like the rest of March will be cold for Northern NY.

Just took the pup out to do her business before we settle in. 4" fesh snow and still coming down heavy. Last year by this time the rocky shoreline was exposed (southern exposure) but today there's still 2 to 2-1/2 feet snow cover. Temps been dropping to @ -16 overnight. The good news is my driveway is frozen up enough to use again. More snow forecast this week. I got a feeling this is going to be a short summer this year.

They're saying we might get 8-12 inches of the wet heavy stuff, dropping below zero tonight in Northern NY.

Ice on the tarp this morning, as it went down below freezing on Long island. But it still felt too hot last night — I turned the old style (and innaccurate) thermostat down to 60 downstairs ... which translates to a range of 64-72 upstairs.

I keep a wall thermometer/barometer/hygrometer in the bedroom, and have monitored the temps which usually swing down to about 65 before the oil furnace kicks in. It rises quickly to 70-72 upstairs (3 bedrooms in use) before stopping.

That's because all the heat rushes up the stairs and accumulates upstairs, while the downstairs takes a long time to heat up to the point that the thermostat goes off. Very annoying variance between upstairs and downstairs at night, wish it was more even.

Dual zone heating is not an option, but I think I need to get another thermostat installed if possible upstairs so that the heat turns on and off in a more even fashion (if that makes any sense).

Will definitely burn some wood in the fireplace today. Have some Sandy red oak and maple that was split down to 2"-3" thick fireplace-size splits last week that is reading 15% on the face ... wondering if I can mix them with some kiln dried?

Well, the wood shed is almost empty. Lows in the teens predicted here this week! Usualy in middle of March, I am about done. Doesn't seem to be working out this year. Guess I am going to have to drag some more in the wood shed or I am out in the cold >>

Yeah, like you needed me to remind you.;em
I've still got plenty in the shed and just bring in enough for a day or 2 lately.
Calling for 1-3" for tomorrow, then warming by next weekend. I may not even plow.==c

Reactions: tfdchief
I have this, on the outside of the wood shed that I think I will use to finish the season. I have stacks that are older but not as handy to get to.
yd shed 2.jpg

12 degrees this morning, actually in the teens for the lows the past 3-4 days, highs in the mid 30s, 10-16" of snow on the way.....

have about 2 weeks worth of wood left..

Just about done with the 4 cord allocation for this year. With these cooler temps I'm continuing to burn 24/7 except for the occasional day when someone lets the fire go out. Expect another 2-3 weeks of this then just the occasional night fire. The good thing is next 2 seasons are already split and stacked.

Global warming? I don't think so....

Real proof of a cold late winter/early spring....Local VA ski resort extending season for the first time ever.
When a big outfit like this is willing to put money on it; you know it's cold. Quote below:

In honor of the first day of spring, we would like to officially extend winter! This year, for the first time in Wintergreen's history, we plan to open up in April. In fact, we'll be open this weekend, next weekend, AND the first weekend in April. Our new snowmaking system rocked so hard, we just don't know what to do with everything we've got left, so we figured we might as well ride on it! Official schedule:
3/23-24: Slopes open 9a-5p, $39 adult, $29 youth
Saturday 3/30: Slopes open 9a-5p, rates TBA
Saturday 4/6: Slopes open 9a-5p, rates TB

Reactions: tfdchief
I woulda, shoulda and almost coulda burned, but I wasn't sure I had enough dry in the mix.
My fireplace oak splits are 16% on the face, but it's not exactly a very fresh split. Gotta get a bag of that nice smelling kiln birch for the weekend if this continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.