1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

start of the spring shoulder season?? NOT!!

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ScotO, Mar 12, 2013.

1. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Hehehe, beat me to it LP.
    Relaxation tablet Scotty, it'll be over soon.;)
    We've got another week before we get into steady upper 30's-40's, then the real fun begins......mud.
    Oh, and let's not forget the ticks.:mad:
    Snow and cold doesn't sound so bad now.
    ScotO likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. NortheastAl

NortheastAl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Putnam, NY
    ScotO likes this.
  3. NortheastAl

Loc:
    Putnam, NY
    Damn, I screwed up that post! Was quoting PapaDave talking about the upcoming arrival of the thawed out ticks. Need another cup of coffee.
    PapaDave likes this.
  4. TradEddie

TradEddie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    Last Saturday I was standing on my roof in a t-shirt sweeping the liner, today it's snowing and the fire is lit again. I had everything put away for the season.

TE
    ScotO likes this.
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I won't be cleaning up and "shutting down" until the middle of May. I've seen springs like this before. I have a bad feeling we're gonna have a cold, wet summer......
    chvymn99 likes this.
  6. TradEddie

TradEddie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    I'm only a weekend burner with an insert that's probably too big for a house with poor layout for airflow so I can't consider lighting a fire if temps are going over 50 in the daytime.

TE
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We only got a couple inches but no thawing today.
  8. NortheastAl

Loc:
    Putnam, NY
    Say it ain't so, Scotty!
  9. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I hope I am wrong, but we're long overdue.....
    I look at how the jetstream was all winter long (southwesterly flow). and the past several weeks it's been a northwesterly......
    I hope it doesn't stay like that.
  10. PapaDave

Loc:
    If I had put everything away at the first sign of warm weather, there would be icicles hanging in the house, and I'd be dead.
    Oh, but not dead from freezing.....my wife would have done me in, then called an HVAC company.>>
  11. chvymn99

chvymn99 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kansas
    I finally got the first fire back in the house with the newly replaced stove today. Suppose to get slush tonight, back to 30's and 40's again for a while.

I'm hopeing your correct Scotty, about the wetness. We need the moisture even if it puts off my gardening for a bit. With the drought that we had last summer, we need the moisture.
  12. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Down to single digits again tonight, looks like the rest of March will be cold for Northern NY.
    ScotO likes this.
  13. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    Just took the pup out to do her business before we settle in. 4" fesh snow and still coming down heavy. Last year by this time the rocky shoreline was exposed (southern exposure) but today there's still 2 to 2-1/2 feet snow cover. Temps been dropping to @ -16 overnight. The good news is my driveway is frozen up enough to use again. More snow forecast this week. I got a feeling this is going to be a short summer this year.
  14. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

They're saying we might get 8-12 inches of the wet heavy stuff, dropping below zero tonight in Northern NY.
  15. OldLumberKid

OldLumberKid Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sandyland
    Ice on the tarp this morning, as it went down below freezing on Long island. But it still felt too hot last night — I turned the old style (and innaccurate) thermostat down to 60 downstairs ... which translates to a range of 64-72 upstairs.

I keep a wall thermometer/barometer/hygrometer in the bedroom, and have monitored the temps which usually swing down to about 65 before the oil furnace kicks in. It rises quickly to 70-72 upstairs (3 bedrooms in use) before stopping.

That's because all the heat rushes up the stairs and accumulates upstairs, while the downstairs takes a long time to heat up to the point that the thermostat goes off. Very annoying variance between upstairs and downstairs at night, wish it was more even.

Dual zone heating is not an option, but I think I need to get another thermostat installed if possible upstairs so that the heat turns on and off in a more even fashion (if that makes any sense).

Will definitely burn some wood in the fireplace today. Have some Sandy red oak and maple that was split down to 2"-3" thick fireplace-size splits last week that is reading 15% on the face ... wondering if I can mix them with some kiln dried?
  16. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Well, the wood shed is almost empty. Lows in the teens predicted here this week! Usualy in middle of March, I am about done. Doesn't seem to be working out this year. Guess I am going to have to drag some more in the wood shed or I am out in the cold >>
  17. PapaDave

Loc:
    Get to work Steve, but watch your back.:eek:
    tfdchief likes this.
  18. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    I will Dave. Thanks for reminding me though.;)
  19. PapaDave

Loc:
    Yeah, like you needed me to remind you.;em
    I've still got plenty in the shed and just bring in enough for a day or 2 lately.
    Calling for 1-3" for tomorrow, then warming by next weekend. I may not even plow.==c
    tfdchief likes this.
  20. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    I have this, on the outside of the wood shed that I think I will use to finish the season. I have stacks that are older but not as handy to get to.
    yd shed 2.jpg
  21. ColdNH

ColdNH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bow, NH
    12 degrees this morning, actually in the teens for the lows the past 3-4 days, highs in the mid 30s, 10-16" of snow on the way.....

have about 2 weeks worth of wood left..
  22. glassmanjpf

glassmanjpf Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Just about done with the 4 cord allocation for this year. With these cooler temps I'm continuing to burn 24/7 except for the occasional day when someone lets the fire go out. Expect another 2-3 weeks of this then just the occasional night fire. The good thing is next 2 seasons are already split and stacked.

Global warming? I don't think so....
  23. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    18 tonight. March, IL, What the heck? It feels like February.
  24. granpajohn

granpajohn Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maryland
    Real proof of a cold late winter/early spring....Local VA ski resort extending season for the first time ever.
    When a big outfit like this is willing to put money on it; you know it's cold. Quote below:

In honor of the first day of spring, we would like to officially extend winter! This year, for the first time in Wintergreen's history, we plan to open up in April. In fact, we'll be open this weekend, next weekend, AND the first weekend in April. Our new snowmaking system rocked so hard, we just don't know what to do with everything we've got left, so we figured we might as well ride on it! Official schedule:
    3/23-24: Slopes open 9a-5p, $39 adult, $29 youth
    Saturday 3/30: Slopes open 9a-5p, rates TBA
    Saturday 4/6: Slopes open 9a-5p, rates TB
    tfdchief likes this.
  25. OldLumberKid

OldLumberKid Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sandyland
    I woulda, shoulda and almost coulda burned, but I wasn't sure I had enough dry in the mix.
    My fireplace oak splits are 16% on the face, but it's not exactly a very fresh split. Gotta get a bag of that nice smelling kiln birch for the weekend if this continues.