1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Start up differences in pellet stoves???

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by fortisi876, Feb 8, 2013.

1. fortisi876

fortisi876 Member

Loc:
    NNJ
    Hello all!

I learned a few years back that newer pellet stoves run differently than my Whitfield Advantage Optima3.

My stove cycles on and off as it calls for heat which apparently puts a beat down on my igniter, new one from last season and it's burnt out already. Ugh!
    BTW- I'm 99% certain it's an igniter problem since the stove seems to run properly after I hand start it. Problem is once temp is achieved, it shuts down and you know the rest....

It's my understanding that newer stoves have a variable speed auger that is controlled by the current need, if it's heat it spins as quickly as needed, if no heat then it runs just fast enough to keep a constant flame....is this correct?

If yes, my question is, is there anyway to modify my stove so it continuously feeds a flame, thus eliminating the need for an igniter?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    hmmm, you could remove the thermostat and place a "jumper" in its place to give you manual control over the unit, but I do not think there is a factory mod for your stove to give it High/Low modulation via thermostat.
  3. SwineFlue

SwineFlue Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Pa
    A thermostat with a larger "swing" (more degrees between turning off and then turning back on) can reduce the number of times your igniter gets used.

My Quad works the same way... a lot of times, we'll just flick the t-stat to the max and then manually switch the stove between hi/med/low to control the room temperature. To me, it's more comfortable when it runs continuously vs cycling on and off. (An analog control from the t-stat to the heat level settings would be great IMO.)
  4. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Run your stove on a lower setting, run the stat on a higher setting, or run the stove in manual and not t-stat mode.

As for the stove sensing the temp. Harmans do this and will adjust the flame accordingly. Other stoves may do just as yours (On/Off) or some do High/Low (goes to level 1 when stat is satisfied, then goes to selected heat range when there is a call for heat)
  5. fortisi876

fortisi876 Member

Loc:
    NNJ
    Thanks for the replies gentlemen!

Dexter- I think it was the Harmans that I recall do that, I was hoping some retired intelligent engineer may have come up with some modification to run on/ff stoves as such.....bummer!