Start up problem on USSC 5502M King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Bob ... no power here yesterday. Off to the vet today with my dog and hoping it's not hip dysplasia

I did find out that my wife looked at receipt and the warranty is a year so we are still good on that actually till november but Im hoping this works. trying to start a fire in unit is ok as I know manual says that the pellets should take about 5 min to start a fire and the ignitor test is only 3???

Also with wires jumped if I open the door it does not ramp the fan up to full speed. not sure if that means anything.

Thank you all for the help and ideas!!

ok my wife just called USSC again and got a different rep..ive talked to same one twice. he said as far as hes concerned stove is fine. it will pulse and light will be on as there is no combustion. He said the first rep should not have progressed this far and that all my joints look fine. my wife said he said it will do that as its not sensing a fire and thus no oxygen is being used. when there is a fire it will be ok...so I guess Im getting a bag of pellets tonight and gonna try it. he said if we left if i the dry run for say 30-45 min it may finish but dont worry about that he said. SO and from the other post that you guys/gals posted above from CHOPS I see he got all the same stuff but in the end he was fine. tech said basically dont worry about the pulsing and the light.....run in with a fire and it will be fine. so i guess I will do that tonight as my next step. night are down to 40 anyways so a fire wont kill us or anything with windows open.

Run it and watch the car wreck of a debate I guess will be the plan. will advise all in the am but this could be like chops thread!!

Hook your draft sensor (vacuum switch) back up before you do the first burn. Do Not Leave it Jumped! You likely will get a bit of smell from interior firebox paint. Would have been better to do your first burn outside so you don't have to deal with the smell but you're beyond that!

Edit: Good to hear you have a bit of time on warranty... put it through it's paces!

Good luck and keep us posted...

Reactions: FirepotPete
Hook your draft sensor (vacuum switch) back up before you do the first burn. Do Not Leave it Jumped! You likely will get a bit of smell from interior firebox paint. Would have been better to do your first burn outside so you don't have to deal with the smell but you're beyond that!

Edit: Good to hear you have a bit of time on warranty... put it through it's paces!

Good luck and keep us posted...
Nope I did. hook the sensor switch back up. ran TSC brand pellets in it just fine..everything perfect. ran it on #3 HR per tech and she burned and ran perfect. does that room blower fan run all the time? I presume it does. I thought I remember this had a thermostat on it but I guess not as it ran the whole time and didn't read anything about that in the manual so I must be mistaken.......but again she ran great so I went and got a ton today starting to stock up. thanks all for the help. I could not do it without you. as many others has said these manuals could be better.

does that room blower fan run all the time?

Yes. Now let the arguments will begin!!!!

I and many others run the room fan full speed. I see it as why blow heat out of the exhaust?
If you play with it enough you should find you will get just as warm say on HR3 with the room fan on high as compared to having to run the stove on HR4 with the room fan on a lower setting. Less fuel used, same result.

If noise isn't a problem I would run the room fan on its highest and then adjust the HR to get the room the temp you like. Otherwise you are just blowing heat out of the exhaust. IMO.

Let the discussions begin.

Yes. Now let the arguments will begin!!!!

I and many others run the room fan full speed. I see it as why blow heat out of the exhaust?
If you play with it enough you should find you will get just as warm say on HR3 with the room fan on high as compared to having to run the stove on HR4 with the room fan on a lower setting. Less fuel used, same result.

If noise isn't a problem I would run the room fan on its highest and then adjust the HR to get the room the temp you like. Otherwise you are just blowing heat out of the exhaust. IMO.

Let the discussions begin.
NO No didn't mean to start anything... I ran it on HR-3 and sorta like that but we will see how it is when snow is flying and fan wasn't that bad I just noticed it seem to run all the time is all. After reading your post I see many seem to have issues with that.

noise and ectectra. but I'm just glad its working and need to get it dialed in this winter. the tech said you gotta get used to running in to your preference sorta like a wood stove. took us a winter or two to get the wood burning down. now my wife is an expert so we switched it up. LOL

I don't want to send my heat out the exhaust either.. and I have to get it to get all over the whole house so that's good advise!! it was on auto for now but sounds we will play with that. on high makes sense as whatever does come out the front goes out the back!!

thanks all!!

NO No didn't mean to start anything...

No problem, there are few if any "heated" discussions here, usually only "heat" discussions. I'm just a cheap bxxxxxd so I try and get every BTU in the house.

It will take a little playing to get it where you like it, no pellet stove is as simple as a wood burner, except a couple of gravity fed models but they don't throw the heat like a regulated pellet stove.

tractorboy, when making adjustments to settings, note what changes you make and the results. Usually takes 20 minutes to 1/2 hour to get a good feel of the results of the changes. If you don't like the results, recording previous settings will get you back to one you could live with...

Reactions: FirepotPete
tractorboy, when making adjustments to settings, note what changes you make and the results. Usually takes 20 minutes to 1/2 hour to get a good feel of the results of the changes. If you don't like the results, recording previous settings will get you back to one you could live with...
thank you for that advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.