Start up problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newtothepelletstove

Oct 24, 2016
PA
Hi Everyone

I just installed my first stove, Harman Accentra, and on start up got some smoke building up which I have read is normal. Problem is it started to seep out. The entire firebox was filled with smoke and appeared to be swirling around. I shut it down and walked outside to check to make sure I was getting some out of the vent and I could smell it. I was thinking it seemed like the blower wasn't working but I'm new to this. Any help would be appreciated

Reactions: Tegbert
Hi Everyone

I just installed my first stove, Harman Accentra, and on start up got some smoke building up which I have read is normal. Problem is it started to seep out. The entire firebox was filled with smoke and appeared to be swirling around. I shut it down and walked outside to check to make sure I was getting some out of the vent and I could smell it. I was thinking it seemed like the blower wasn't working but I'm new to this. Any help would be appreciated
on start up, my Harman P61A does the same thing as far as lot of smoke swirling around after the pellets get lit. [Sometimes the blower comes on right away and there is no smoke buildup]
this goes on for a short 10-20 seconds or so and then it clears up as the Exhaust blower kicks on, starts sucking out the smoke, and all is clear again.
this is normal.... but, any smoke coming or seeping out of the stove inside the house IS NOT....

Welcome. Smoke building is very normal but any smoke coming out of the stove is not at all good. Would like to know what is your venting like.
The stove should not try to attempt to start untill the exhaust fan has pulled a vacuum in the fire box so that pretty much means that fan is working.
So now I wonder where your getting smoke into the house from.

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
The swirling smoke is normal (as others have said). Once there is flame it should clear out quickly.

Did you seal the pipe joints? Most likely that is where smoke is escaping. Use silicone self-sealing tape to ensure there are no leaks at any of the joints - including at the stove connection. Also, in my experience, any elbows or T's need to have their joints taped up along with the cleanout at the bottom (if you have one inside).

Reactions: alternativeheat
For your peace of mind on the swirling smoke - check out this video around the 2:30-2:40 mark. It clearly shows the smoke and then ignition

And of course smoke outside is normal on start up. You even might get a whiff of a wood fire outside when you don't see smoke. Also on start up, if you get that smoky smell in the house and it's from your vent joints , it may well go away once the stove lights off and the heat exchanger cycles for a few minutes. The trick is to catch the leaking joint in action. This is best done in the dark and shine a flashlight at each joint. I had one coming right out of the riveted seam of my clean out T, not even the twist lock joints. Anyway, I sealed that with automotive silicone and the twist lock joints with tape. Done deal.

In certain wind directions I still get a slight smell of wood fire but it's not from our stove. We used to get it when burning coal too, it's a house out back and down an incline from ours. His stack doesn't even make it over that incline, it's about ground level to us and in just the right conditions we can get a little blast of his exhaust.

Reactions: bogieb
A cold tall venting stack can be hard to push the air out of till it gets some heat. My stack really makes the fire chamber fill and any venting leak become more pronounced till ignition and then a bit to much draft after things get warmed up.

A cold tall venting stack can be hard to push the air out of till it gets some heat. My stack really makes the fire chamber fill and any venting leak become more pronounced till ignition and then a bit to much draft after things get warmed up.
Ya, well that describes mine perfectly !

Is your Accentra new or used? If it is new start it up and let it run and do its thing. You should hear your exhaust fan kick on at start up. Smoke on start up is normal as mentioned also. Where is this smoke you are speaking of? If it remains inside the stove it's fine or going out the exhaust.

Please forward more details......

Status
Not open for further replies.