Started a Holz

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Well I figured why not. It's a hair over 7 foot diameter and will probably be 7 feet tall when I'm done. Looks pretty cool so far. I want to see if it seasons the wood any faster. Even if it doesn't, it looks cool and makes me look like I know what I'm doing. I'll get some pictures when I'm done.

Good luck with your Holz. They are an easy way to stack wood and don't usually fall over. I did one about a month ago and have since started another. I think this will be the way I stack my outside wood from now on due to the fact they are self standing with no stakes what so ever.

I'm addicted to holz now. Going to start my 3rd one this week. I go a bit over 6 feet in each dimension because I figure it will be easier to reach and deal with in the dead of winter.

My only problem with Holz piles is that I get attached to them and don't want to burn the wood. Did one last year just based on having seen a pic of one in a book... I kept going out to admire it.

cmonSTART said:
...Even if it doesn't, it looks cool and makes me look like I know what I'm doing.

I can't think of a better reason to go ahead and build it. Chalk it up to "self-actualization"...as I recall the very top of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. :lol: Rick

Adios Pantalones said:
My only problem with Holz piles is that I get attached to them and don't want to burn the wood. Did one last year just based on having seen a pic of one in a book... I kept going out to admire it.

ROTF.....right on. I check mine every day and if I drank a beer everytime I looked at it I would be completely useless. :)

Showed it to a relative who burns wood and he liked the fact of no stakes to keep it upright. I think I converted him also.

Status
Not open for further replies.