1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Started Cutting and Hauling

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by TimJ, Nov 25, 2012.

1. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    This beautiful stuff. There will probably be over 3 cords of this dry-to- the- bone red elm. I have to work hard to get it but that's OK. I have to throw these big rounds over a ravine and then haul to the truck with the wheelbarrow. I don't want to leave an ounce of it. It has been laying across this ravine for years. Not one ounce of rot can be had on this and the outside is as hard as the rest of it. I'm still on the branches and have to figure out how to get the big trunk rounds out, but I'll find a way. Hauled out 2 truck loads so far. I think I got one more in me. Took a small break.

Attached Files:

Bacffin, zap, Thistle and 3 others like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Nice rounds! Tough to get out, but looks worth it. How deep is this ravine?
  3. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    That is some beautiful looking wood.
    Hope it splits as easy as it looks like it should ;)
    Keep the pictures coming.
    At least it's not up hill both ways. At the end of the day, I bet it feels like it is though :) LOL
  4. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    Cut up the entire tree and rolled 19 big rounds down and then up. At that point I had to throw them over a large downed oak top. I would say they weighed about 50 pounds. Not too bad. Good thing the wood was dry. I took everything back to the splitting area except for these large rounds and I will do that tomorrow. The ravine was walkable but made for a tuff day. I will yield about 3 cords from this tree. My best score.

PS. I tried to split a round in half with a maul and wedge and it was a no go. It split open eventually but was not worth it. I will carry them instead
  5. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Great stuff,long lasting coals. Smells a lot like cinnamon,moderate decay resistance.Can last 10-15 yrs if all or part is up in the air
  6. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Looks like some great rounds, well worth the extra effort.

Nice Work
    Zap
  7. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    TimJ. Hopefully it was fairly dry for you. Nice score. I would be interested in what the moisture content is on the inside of those rounds though. Do you have a moisture meter? If so, take a pic of it while reading the inside of a fresh split one for us would ya. That elm is tough stuff to split. How long has it been dead?
  8. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    I'd say it is one of the most rot resistant............this tree has been down many years. It had no bark whatsoever and moss was growing on it but not one ounce of decay. I do not have a moisture meter but I would bet anything it is under 20%. When I did split the one piece it was dry as a bone clear through...........hard as a rock and clanks
  9. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    Got the rounds out of the woods to the splitter this morning. Here is the first load. Took a picture from the top to see the checking in the rounds. I also split a few pieces to see how it would split. The splitting goes good enough but you can definately see this red elm is a little stringy.

Attached Files:

10. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    That is some nice straight Elm. And good size as well. A lot of it around here died out with the Dutch Elm disease. But there is still some left. Not very big though.