Started Cutting and Hauling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2012
Southeast Indiana
This beautiful stuff. There will probably be over 3 cords of this dry-to- the- bone red elm. I have to work hard to get it but that's OK. I have to throw these big rounds over a ravine and then haul to the truck with the wheelbarrow. I don't want to leave an ounce of it. It has been laying across this ravine for years. Not one ounce of rot can be had on this and the outside is as hard as the rest of it. I'm still on the branches and have to figure out how to get the big trunk rounds out, but I'll find a way. Hauled out 2 truck loads so far. I think I got one more in me. Took a small break.

Attachments

• bearded asil hen 025.jpg
    bearded asil hen 025.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 144
  • bearded asil hen 028.jpg
    bearded asil hen 028.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 153
Nice rounds! Tough to get out, but looks worth it. How deep is this ravine?

That is some beautiful looking wood.
Hope it splits as easy as it looks like it should ;)
Keep the pictures coming.
At least it's not up hill both ways. At the end of the day, I bet it feels like it is though :) LOL

Cut up the entire tree and rolled 19 big rounds down and then up. At that point I had to throw them over a large downed oak top. I would say they weighed about 50 pounds. Not too bad. Good thing the wood was dry. I took everything back to the splitting area except for these large rounds and I will do that tomorrow. The ravine was walkable but made for a tuff day. I will yield about 3 cords from this tree. My best score.

PS. I tried to split a round in half with a maul and wedge and it was a no go. It split open eventually but was not worth it. I will carry them instead

Great stuff,long lasting coals. Smells a lot like cinnamon,moderate decay resistance.Can last 10-15 yrs if all or part is up in the air

Looks like some great rounds, well worth the extra effort.

Nice Work
Zap

Cut up the entire tree and rolled 19 big rounds down and then up. At that point I had to throw them over a large downed oak top. I would say they weighed about 50 pounds. Not too bad. Good thing the wood was dry. I took everything back to the splitting area except for these large rounds and I will do that tomorrow. The ravine was walkable but made for a tuff day. I will yield about 3 cords from this tree. My best score.

PS. I tried to split a round in half with a maul and wedge and it was a no go. It split open eventually but was not worth it. I will carry them instead

TimJ. Hopefully it was fairly dry for you. Nice score. I would be interested in what the moisture content is on the inside of those rounds though. Do you have a moisture meter? If so, take a pic of it while reading the inside of a fresh split one for us would ya. That elm is tough stuff to split. How long has it been dead?

I'd say it is one of the most rot resistant............this tree has been down many years. It had no bark whatsoever and moss was growing on it but not one ounce of decay. I do not have a moisture meter but I would bet anything it is under 20%. When I did split the one piece it was dry as a bone clear through...........hard as a rock and clanks

Got the rounds out of the woods to the splitter this morning. Here is the first load. Took a picture from the top to see the checking in the rounds. I also split a few pieces to see how it would split. The splitting goes good enough but you can definately see this red elm is a little stringy.

Attachments

• bearded asil hen 029.jpg
    bearded asil hen 029.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 108
  • bearded asil hen 030.jpg
    bearded asil hen 030.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 112
  • bearded asil hen 031.jpg
    bearded asil hen 031.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 87
That is some nice straight Elm. And good size as well. A lot of it around here died out with the Dutch Elm disease. But there is still some left. Not very big though.

Status
Not open for further replies.