Started loading up the barn yesterday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Nice weather here in NH - sunny and cool (temps in the 60's). Decided it was a good time to start bringing this year's wood in the barn. Three pallets done so far - normally need 10 pallets of stacked wood to load up the old horse stall, plus another large pile of the uglies and a large pile of smaller splits for shoulder season and quick fires. Taking it slow as my lower back has been having some issues. Hope to be done in a week or so - we'll see! The wood I'm hauling is mainly red oak and red maple - should be about 2/3 oak and the rest maple. I need to plan a better way to top cover with my squares of rubber roofing - all pallets were covered, but the cover didn't quite cover the entire top, allowing most of the rain to pool and run into the stacks. I'd guess about 20 pieces of oak were pretty punked (these stacks are four years old) - no issues with the maple. The rest is very dry - should be a good burning year! Waking up to low 60's in the house with the cold nights here - getting the itch to light a fire - but, I'll use extra clothes for now! Cheers!

Sounds good. About the same weather here. Daytime temps are just beautiful.
Getting all your wood into the barn for the season is a great plus. Wish I had a barn too.
My wife probably won't go along with that plan.

That is a shame about the covering. Would it help to lay the rubber on something flat? Perhaps then it would be large enough to cover what you need covered.

Dennis - that's my thought too - should have cut the roofing squares about 1' longer. I think I am going to use the slats from free pallets under the rubber to keep the cover flat and at a gentle slope - should let the water run off faster and in one direction. Didn't lose much wood - so that's good, but I don't want to lose any! Cheers!

Understand that one. I have used rubber only one time. Had some so had to give it a try. I still prefer something solid like the galvanized roofing. This is some more I got this summer. We have lots now.

Roofing-1.JPG Roofing-2.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.