Started my austral install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished the floor portion of the hearth and installed new laminate flooring while i was at it. Was my first time working with stone tiles but it was actually kinda fun. By no means professional but im happy with the way it turned out. Now to pull the permit, install the stove and get it inspected and then i'll put stone tile over the Duroc after the inspection. I want to do some electrical work on that wall yet and i don't want him inspecting that work so i'll do it afterwards.
PICT4350.JPG

Reactions: Owen1508
Finally im finished!!! Was way more time, headache and money than i anticipated but im pleased with the results. It's not perfect but i ain't paying for perfect. I have a fan in the white vent there i can plug in to blow warm air into the back room thru the vent. Im looking for a better vent cover as i don't like the looks of that one and im undecided on if or what color to do the wood trim. And im going to put a little shelf in the back corner for a small fan to sit on and blow out into the house. Hope the heat doesn't hurt my deer heads. Bring on the cold weather, im ready. IMG_20140909_115427.jpg

Impressive DIY job!! Looks like a nice cozy setting.

Looks great. Big honkin steel stove. Yes!

kinda wish now i'd of spent the extra money for the NC 30, it's a sharper looking stove than the Austral. Oh well.

You are gonna like the Austral just fine. And it has that start-up damper that will really help with starts and reloads. As well as a stainless baffle.

Enjoy.

I like your firewood holder and crap-catcher box also. Slick setup.

Had my first small fire today to break the stove in. I have to say i was quite pleased with the initial burn. With the bypass damper the Austral has it was quick and easy to get the fire going fast and hot. I have to play with it and see just how tight you can tamp it down with the intake air. I was surprised at how HOT that stove got with just a small fire going in it, really kicked out the heat. makes me wonder just how scorching it'll be with a full load. Might end up being a 100 degrees in that room. Heat seemed to travel well to the rest of the house even without the fan on. I only had a few small brief secondaries but im sure that was because of the small fire. Be curious to see what i can get for burn times later this winter. Overall very pleased and happy so far. All set to hibernate.
Where should i put my temp gauge? I had it on the chimney pipe about 18 inches off the stove and was surprised it only got up to about 200 degrees. Is that the right place for it?

IMG_20140911_102939.jpg

NIce looking DIY install! Much better than I would have made out.

The bypass is a great feature on the stove. I have it on mine and love it!! I cant see myself not having one...

Are you using double wall stovepipe? Or single? With a small fire, 200 degrees makes sense if it was a really slow/small fire. HOw's your wood source?

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.