Started my OWB last night..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

walkerdogman85

Feb 21, 2012
ohio
I started my hardy last night it got down to 39-40 here in ohio and the lows look like they are here to stay. Anyone else start there's yet?

We hit 38.5 last night and I'm still 5 or 6 weeks away from even thinking about lighting the fire. As long as the temps recover into the 60's during the day I don't need any heat to keep things comfy. I also don't mind running the nat gas furnace for a week or two before I can really justify lighting my fire and brining my tanks up to temp. Once I start burning I keep burning until I run out of wood...unless we have another winter like last year....

I fired up my mom's Heatmor a few weeks ago, but that was because I installed a cast iron radiator in the kitchen and wanted to make sure that it worked with no leaks, etc. Worked fine and I kept tossing wood into the boiler, even though it was around 80 outside. Too much fun. But it was nice the next morning, when it got down into the 40s outside.

Wow does it always cool down this early down there?
It is still between 50- 60 F at night up here.

It was 73 in the house last night, and 69 this morning. It was in the upper 30's here last night. Had a fire ready to light this morning, just set the thermostat for 72 and lit the fire. It felt nice getting out of the shower to a warm home. We might have another in the morning or tonight. Just burning limb wood and dry punky stuff. Saving the good stuff for when it's cold. Still, nice to have a fire.

Oh yeah it was nice a really hot shower and a warm house. It frosted at a guys house I work with or so he says but either way it beats turning on the electric furnace

I burnt off and on all summer to heat water . I didn't use any cord wood just some scrap 2x4 n ply wood and such from a shed a friend put up, and sticks and limbs that fell. Why pay for Propane ( in my case) when you can use stuff that others were just going to burn in a bon fire of throw in the trash. Is it untreated wood ? HECK YA ILL TAKE IT AND BURN IT! :D

Sent from my rooted and eclipse running X2--thanks nitro--

Man we had a hard frost last night, had to scrape the windsheild this morning. Really..........

Ibuilt a fire two weeks ago, and that was just in the Quadrafire stove to dry some drywalling i did.
TS

Doesn't matter what the inside temp is. If the wife hears the weather forecast for cooler temps, then she complains it is cold even if it is 74 f inside. So the stove runs, and I have my fan on. A happy wife means a good supper.
Cold here, but no frost. Cat doesn't want to be out at night. If my memory seves me, last year we had a big storm with several inches of snow before Halloween.

There is something about knowing that it's cold outside and the thought of throwing in more wood, no matter what the numbers say...........on the indoor thermometer.

TS

My wife is the same way. Also, if she ses clouds moving in then 4 sure it's gonna rain. I usually agree with her on that but mention maybe not as soon as she thinks it will.
Firing up the wood boiler has to wait until I get the chimney cleaned, so she best get a sweater on :) I try to make it was far into October as possible before the 1st burn but night time temps are getting fairly cool so it may be a bit sooner this year. Along with cleaning the chimney I better get some wood into the shed!

Status
Not open for further replies.