Started my Woodshed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes sense to me is a silver roof- galvanized steel. It reflects the radiation.

That and I don't want to touch it again in my lifetime.

Delta-T said:
BLIMP said:
i hAVe read, researched, & concluded that a woodshed should have a white roof instead of black.
white roof dont get as hot in the sun but also dont RADIATE the heat from the woodpile as much as a black roof at night. white roof was specified by POPULAR SCIENCE mag. 30 yrs ago

thats makes good sense to me. Supporting this idea is the popularity of black as the fabric color of choice for nomadic desert peoples (higher radiation ability).
thanx for a new angle! sense= if wood cools thru roof radiation loss enough, it may result in morning-after condensation on the pile. game is to promote drying,eh?

BLIMP said:
i hAVe read, researched, & concluded that a woodshed should have a white roof instead of black.
white roof dont get as hot in the sun but also dont RADIATE the heat from the woodpile as much as a black roof at night. white roof was specified by POPULAR SCIENCE mag. 30 yrs ago

Some guy named "Pook" on another forum was making the same claim. Not true. Both black and white painted surfaces give off about the same amount of radiant heat. You are confusing the absorption of visible light from the sun by a black surface with infrared light radiated from a warm surface... a common mistake.

Black colored surfaces are black because they don't reflect any light, so the high-energy rays of visible light from the sun are absorbed by the black material. Like all energy, the energy from the sun's rays is conserved and this raises the temperature. White colored objects reflect almost all of the sunlight that hits them, so they are not heated up nearly as much. A black roof will definitely get hotter in the sun, but once the sun goes down, it will not radiate IR heat any better than a white roof. However, this is only true for visible light, not IR light. If you really want to cut down the IR reflected off the surface, you need to either have an extremely polished metal surface (pure silver is one of the best) or purchase a special low-emissivity paint.

Makes mine look small.
Looks great & strong
Started mine yesterday

fossil said:
What makes sense to me is the fact that the vast majority of the wood sheds we talk about here are completely unsophisticated enclosures, generally pretty wide open to the elements, the sole purpose of which is to provide a neat and convenient way to store wood under cover within some reasonable proximity to that wood's final destination. They are by no stretch of the imagination some sort of engineered solar-powered wood seasoning kilns or any such things. I personally don't think it makes one iota of difference what color the roof is when the structure is basically just a fancy tarp to keep the rain and snow off and make the wood easy to access. Worrying about what color the roof on such a shed is to be is, in my mind, just a waste of worrying. Worry about something worth worrying about. Better yet, don't worry at all...just git 'er done. Rick

I don't think anyone is "worrying" about what color their woodshed roof should be. Just analyzing the minutia, and relatively unimportant corners of shed design. Wasn't trying to stress anyone out. I'm actually partial to orange roofs for no reason other than its bright and lively.

Battenkiller said:
BLIMP said:

Some guy named "Pook" on another forum was making the same claim. Not true. Both black and white painted surfaces give off about the same amount of radiant heat. You are confusing the absorption of visible light from the sun by a black surface with infrared light radiated from a warm surface... a common mistake.

Black colored surfaces are black because they don't reflect any light, so the high-energy rays of visible light from the sun are absorbed by the black material. Like all energy, the energy from the sun's rays is conserved and this raises the temperature. White colored objects reflect almost all of the sunlight that hits them, so they are not heated up nearly as much. A black roof will definitely get hotter in the sun, but once the sun goes down, it will not radiate IR heat any better than a white roof. However, this is only true for visible light, not IR light. If you really want to cut down the IR reflected off the surface, you need to either have an extremely polished metal surface (pure silver is one of the best) or purchase a special low-emissivity paint.
huh, wonder why the heat dispersing grid on the back of my old fridge is painted black?

Delta-T said:
fossil said:
What makes sense to me is the fact that the vast majority of the wood sheds we talk about here are completely unsophisticated enclosures, generally pretty wide open to the elements, the sole purpose of which is to provide a neat and convenient way to store wood under cover within some reasonable proximity to that wood's final destination. They are by no stretch of the imagination some sort of engineered solar-powered wood seasoning kilns or any such things. I personally don't think it makes one iota of difference what color the roof is when the structure is basically just a fancy tarp to keep the rain and snow off and make the wood easy to access. Worrying about what color the roof on such a shed is to be is, in my mind, just a waste of worrying. Worry about something worth worrying about. Better yet, don't worry at all...just git 'er done. Rick

I don't think anyone is "worrying" about what color their woodshed roof should be. Just analyzing the minutia, and relatively unimportant corners of shed design. Wasn't trying to stress anyone out. I'm actually partial to orange roofs for no reason other than its bright and lively.

Yeah, TempDiff, maybe "worrying" was the wrong word...but then, in some contexts, it can be a synonym for "sweating" (as in sweating the small stuff). Actually, I'm a Mechanical Engineer and a huge fan of Physics, but I think that there are times and situations which are so simple that over-analyzing seems to me to be just a waste of time. A simple wood shed is one example. Anyway, my comments above were really in response to Blimp, not to you...perhaps I should have made that more clear. I really like orange, too, and if the wife would've allowed it, I might just have an orange roof on my shed right now. :p Rick

fossil said:
Delta-T said:
fossil said:

Yeah, TempDiff, maybe "worrying" was the wrong word...but then, in some contexts, it can be a synonym for "sweating" (as in sweating the small stuff). Actually, I'm a Mechanical Engineer and a huge fan of Physics, but I think that there are times and situations which are so simple that over-analyzing seems to me to be just a waste of time. A simple wood shed is one example. Anyway, my comments above were really in response to Blimp, not to you...perhaps I should have made that more clear. I really like orange, too, and if the wife would've allowed it, I might just have an orange roof on my shed right now. :p Rick
orange has my Blimpessings whereas its lighter than black, but lemon would be better. Still i dont dare paint my BLACK HEAT DISPERSING GRID MOUNTED ON THE BACK OF MY OLD FRIDGE.

fossil said:
I really like orange, too, and if the wife would've allowed it, I might just have an orange roof on my shed right now. :p Rick

:lol:

That's really why mine's Galvalume rather than orange. I thought the orange would go well with the blue house, kinda like orange stitching on a pair of Levi's. :roll:

fossil said:
Looks like you're closing the sides up pretty tightly. When we built my shed...which is floored like a deck, up off the ground...we were careful to leave generous spacing between both the deck boards and the siding boards to allow for good airflow throughout. It's even better ventilated now that all the construction wood has had a couple of years to season. Rick

I was going to ask about that also.

Instead of the back of the shed, the way you have it, what if you used lattice and used that as a "guide" of where the wood goes? Would that work? (I'm ASKING, not suggesting, as I've thought about doing that but don't know if it's workable.)

I like to dry my wood out in the open with all the wind and sun possible and then put it in a tighter building for the winter but it is extra stacking but you do have great wood that is dry and can stay there for a long time with out bother, and yes this is after it is at 20% moisture or less. I do like the wood sheds with the ventilation for drying but the winter we had last year would have filled it with snow.

BRL said:
Backwoods we skid logs out with the helicopter thats in the backyard (not pictured) :) The plan is to store 16 cords in it, 8 per side.

Now that's a nice woodshed to hold that much wood. Another year and folks will quit jabbing me about all the wood I have on hand and will start on you. lol But it is all in fun so remember that when the time comes.

Didn't get any work done on it this weekend. Rain on Saturday and camp and a few beers yesterday. I should get it sided this week and I just need to figure out what I'm going to do with the roof. Then I need to get to cutting some wood! I want to have 24 cords on hand. 16 in the shed and 8 in the basement. Wood will be delivered in the winter/early spring, I'll take 8 cords from the shed and bring that to the basement the cut split new wood and replace the woodshed wood. Then the next year the opposite side of the shed. Brian

in the midst of many irrelevant posts, i repeat= the heat dispersing grid mounted on the back of my fridge is painted black because black radiates the heat best as so were stoves before hot/efficient burn engineering came into play. a white or lighter roof will not radiate heat as well & the mass within the shed wont cool as much overnight. a cooler mass in the shed will collect more of the morning dew. a white asphalt roof will last longer because it wont get as hot as a black roof & evaporate the asphalt as much.

BLIMP said:
in the midst of many irrelevant posts, i repeat= the heat dispersing grid mounted on the back of my fridge is painted black because black radiates the heat best as so were stoves before hot/efficient burn engineering came into play. a white or lighter roof will not radiate heat as well & the mass within the shed wont cool as much overnight. a cooler mass in the shed will collect more of the morning dew. a white asphalt roof will last longer because it wont get as hot as a black roof & evaporate the asphalt as much.

might not be black paint at all. might be a high thermo-conductive material that just happens to be black?

The underside of my car is black. Maybe black was chosen for marketing reasons. Picture a market research focus group... "OK, which colour do you prefer, black or pink?"

It's like tire treads on push mowers... Cripes, they are pushed and don't need the traction. The old Lawnboys had bald tires and didn't pick up strips of grass. Again, market research focus groups.

LLigetfa said:
The underside of my car is black. Maybe black was chosen for marketing reasons. Picture a market research focus group... "OK, which colour do you prefer, black or pink?"

It's like tire treads on push mowers... Cripes, they are pushed and don't need the traction. The old Lawnboys had bald tires and didn't pick up strips of grass. Again, market research focus groups.
Cripes, u forgot about mowing up, down, or across hills! mower gets pushed from the raised handle which results in some force down into the ground & other vectors. the treads help to stabilize the latteral movement of the mower as they get better traction. again the reasoning wanders & why?

BRL said:
Hi Fossil, the air flow should be pretty good once the not totally dry pine boards dry out. I should end up with 1/4"-1/2" gap between the boards. The back is also 12" off the ground and the eves will stay open. Brian

I was wondering about this as well . . . hopefully in this case you will get some shrinkage to allow some air flow. I purposefully built in gaps . . . but then again I was using a mix of old (definitely well seasoned) boards and new boards.

fossil said:
BRL said:
Hi Fossil, the air flow should be pretty good once the not totally dry pine boards dry out. I should end up with 1/4"-1/2" gap between the boards. The back is also 12" off the ground and the eves will stay open. Brian

Yeah, man. Sounds like it'll work out fine. I don't try to season wood from green in my shed, anyway...everything that goes in there is pretty much ready to burn. But I like knowing that it's continuing to season away in there for a few more months before I start pulling it out. I think your shed's looking terrific. Rick

Same here . . . wood that goes into the shed is ready to burn . . . or pretty darn close . . . but I like the idea that it will continue to season after I've "put it to bed" and have it all tucked in under cover.

fossil said:

Agreed . . . anyone who thinks that the color of their roof will make a serious change in the moisture content of their wood probably would believe that adding a Magic Heat to their woodshed will also lead to the wood producing 2x as much BTUs in their woodstove. ;)

Me . . . I don't worry about colors . . . hell . . . my roof is brown and light-gray . . . since I used some old and new shingles . . . it's a woodshed in my opinion . . . a place to store my already seasoned wood and keep it out of the elements so I don't have to brush snow or ice off it or stand in middle of a snowstorm digging out wood . . . what my woodshed is not is a high-tech example of modern engineering . . . it's simply a place to keep my wood . . . well wood and mice . . . and an occasional plastic chair. ;)

oldspark said:
I like to dry my wood out in the open with all the wind and sun possible and then put it in a tighter building for the winter but it is extra stacking but you do have great wood that is dry and can stay there for a long time with out bother, and yes this is after it is at 20% moisture or less. I do like the wood sheds with the ventilation for drying but the winter we had last year would have filled it with snow.

I can't speak to the snow in Iowa, but we do tend to get some snow up this way . . . and it does tend to drift with the winds, but it wasn't much of an issue last year even with the "ventilation" slots in my shed . . . most of the snow blows up against the shed wall and stays there with little penetration into the shed or the stacks.

BRL said:
Backwoods we skid logs out with the helicopter thats in the backyard (not pictured) :) The plan is to store 16 cords in it, 8 per side.

Oh that was you flying overhead the other day . . . and here I thought it was the National Guard looking for my medicinal marijuana fields . . . sorry about taking those pot shots at you. ;) :)

For the record . . . I do not grow marijuana . . . medicinal or otherwise . . . and I did not take potshots at the National Guard or BRL. ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
BRL said:

Oh that was you flying overhead the other day . . . and here I thought it was the National Guard looking for my medicinal marijuana fields . . . sorry about taking those pot shots at you. ;) :)

For the record . . . I do not grow marijuana . . . medicinal or otherwise . . . and I did not take potshots at the National Guard or BRL. ;) :)

So that wasn't your field I was in? No wonder some guy was shooting at me! :lol:

firefighterjake said:
fossil said:

Agreed . . . anyone who thinks that the color of their roof will make a serious change in the moisture content of their wood probably would believe that adding a Magic Heat to their woodshed will also lead to the wood producing 2x as much BTUs in their woodstove. ;)

Me . . . I don't worry about colors . . . hell . . . my roof is brown and light-gray . . . since I used some old and new shingles . . . it's a woodshed in my opinion . . . a place to store my already seasoned wood and keep it out of the elements so I don't have to brush snow or ice off it or stand in middle of a snowstorm digging out wood . . . what my woodshed is not is a high-tech example of modern engineering . . . it's simply a place to keep my wood . . . well wood and mice . . . and an occasional plastic chair. ;)
thus the diversion persists & avoids a scientific analysis of the situation so lemme put 2 nails into this coffin=
1-white roof lasts longer than white roof [asphalt +] paint the roof with latex @ proper schedules & it'll last forever
2- the MH aint gonna work much in a modern perfectly installed stove but if not perfectly installed the MH will automatically keep the stove from overfiring & results therefrom
kids here are not adressing the facts but deferring to subjective opines instead=detention! & write on the board 100x "i will pay attention to the facts"

Status
Not open for further replies.