Started on the "shoulder" wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
Well, we've had a couple nice days so I got started on the shoulder season wood. Took down 3 smallish Spruce (none bigger than 8"), which is going to give me just under a 1/3 cord. The pic only shows about half.
I've got a few others to take down too. Later this spring, I'll be working on the replacement wood for the stacks being pulled from the field.
Didn't get much done, but it's a start, and it was nice getting out in the trees.

Attachments

• 2011Spruce.jpg
    2011Spruce.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 292
It looks good PapaDave, every bit helps. We only have a two day warmup starting Thursday, I'm not sure if we will lose enough snow that I'll be able to get back in and cut but if we don't we have a dead standing sugar maple (bark off) that is close by.

Zap

Dave, it looks like you still have a good amount of snow on the ground. With tomorrow's forecast we should lose a lot! We can even see some dirt in our driveway now and I noticed even out on the road there are some bare spots (where the sun hits at least). In back where I opened a trail last week there is bare ground showing. Looks nice to see something other than white.

Dennis, we're on a bit of a roller coaster ride with the temps, but looks like it'll stay close to 40 through the weekend.
I've kept the drive plowed, even though we haven't gotten more than about 16" of snow all winter, and there's a LOT of the drive that's completely lacking snow.
The walk to the front door is on the north side of the house, and every year after a thaw, we struggle with ice for the rest of the season. We have that now. Not fun, since I have to go across that ice to get to the shed. I used the wheelbarrow for these splits. Not fun.
zap, there's plenty more wood to be cut. I just don't plan to get more than about a cord of the Spruce, then I plan to go to my sis-in-law's place for some popple, oak, and maple. She has a lot of downed trees on her 10 acres I need to help her dispose of. :cheese:
I may have to set up another row in the field this year if I cut too much.

Dave, we fight that on the north side of the house every year. Even on the west side because we don't get much sun there until March. We have a sand dune here so every August, when it is hot and dry I go out with a shovel and fill a barrel or two with fine sand. I just skim to the top so as to not get moisture in it. We keep that just for times like this or Heaven forbid, if we get an ice storm. It really works nice. I even have a barrel stored over at the neighbor's place. She is an old widow and I worry about her falling when going to get the mail so I go over and spread sand for her to walk on. Works nice.

One forecast has us above 50 tomorrow!!!! I hope they are right too.

Ya Dave. I knew you have lots and lots of sand there. May as well make good use of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.