Started Stacking!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
Pallets in place in the back yard, and the first of 3 cords delivered yesterday, after work. I stacked about half of it before and after dinner. Will finish the cord tonight after work, or early Saturday morning.

I'm STILL concerned about rain on my stacks..........I just can't get past the thought that the wood shouldn't be rained on...........

Still haven't figured out what I'm gonna do this autumn/winter to protect the wood, and yet keep it from condensation.

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
Pallets in place in the back yard, and the first of 3 cords delivered yesterday, after work. I stacked about half of it before and after dinner. Will finish the cord tonight after work, or early Saturday morning.

I'm STILL concerned about rain on my stacks..........I just can't get past the thought that the wood shouldn't be rained on...........

Still haven't figured out what I'm gonna do this autumn/winter to protect the wood, and yet keep it from condensation.

-Soupy1957
Cover just the tops of the stacks, and leave the sides open. That way it keeps rain from thoroughly soaking the pile, yet leaves it open for evaporation. Stack it only one row deep, or if you can't do that, be sure to leave a big gap for airflow. If the wood was just recently split, it probably won't be truly dry for the coming season anyway. Takes more than a year for fresh cut wood to dry.

Grommal gave good advice . . .

Me, I don't bother covering the stacks . . . and in my first year when I didn't have a woodshed I top covered the stacks in the Fall before the heavy rains and snows came . . . and things worked out well. As mentioned in other threads, the water is just surface moisture -- we're burning wood, not sea sponges.

However, if you truly are concerned about the rain just cover the tops to allow the air and wind to work their magic on your stacks.

As to what to cover it with . . . I used the infamous blue tarp . . . others have used sheet metal . . . others have used old pool liners . . . old billboard material . . . plywood.

My stacks are all outside. I have around 12 cord. Half of it recently split and stacked, and NOT covered at all. Won't hurt a thing. The other half is covered on top only. I don't cover anything but the tops of the piles. I throw pieces of plywood on top and/or rubber roofing material. In the winter the stacks dry rapidly after either a rain or snow storm. If you have a place to store 3 or 4 days of wood for burning everything will work out for you just fine. During burning season, when it snows, after the storm, the sun comes out, most times around here the wind kicks up, the stacks that are covered always have dry wood in a day or two after a storm passes. Hasn't been a problem for me at all.

It's encouraging to hear that "after a snowstorm" the wood dries out quickly.

I have been thinking "blue tarps" for the tops of the stacks. I will also be putting some wood in the house, in the ring by the stove, as well as in the garage. The idea was that I would move wood from the "outside" piles, into the garage, as needed, letting the wood in the garage dry out before bringing any of it in the house, to replace the wood in the ring.

When you say 2 or 3 days worth, in the garage, (since this is my first 24/7 burning season) I don't know how to gauge that.....but I'll assume 10 - 20 splits a day (Midnight to midnight). Is that realistic? (Obviously this depends on the size of the stove, and the size of the wood, and type of wood, and how "hot" I keep the stove).

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:

I have been thinking "blue tarps" for the tops of the stacks. I will also be putting some wood in the house, in the ring by the stove, as well as in the garage. The idea was that I would move wood from the "outside" piles, into the garage, as needed, letting the wood in the garage dry out before bringing any of it in the house, to replace the wood in the ring.

When you say 2 or 3 days worth, in the garage, (since this is my first 24/7 burning season) I don't know how to gauge that.....but I'll assume 10 - 20 splits a day (Midnight to midnight). Is that realistic? (Obviously this depends on the size of the stove, and the size of the wood, and type of wood, and how "hot" I keep the stove).

-Soupy1957

Soup last year was our first heating season with the wood stove, we always kept a face cord in the house in two different racks then when one ran out we started on the second rack and filled the first rack. It worked out good for us, our wood stove is in the cellar so we have room the racks.

Zap

I keep a 24" wood ring in the living room, and the wood in there is obviously for the current burn......along with a supply of Fat Wood, and Kindling, and a small rack of Newspapers.

This year I have to re-think some of that, since last year's burn wasn't 24/7, but this years will be. I shouldn't need the Fat Wood, the Newspapers and the kindling, except for the initial start up, once we are in the regular "cold" season. I suppose it really depends on how the "winter" goes. Last year, we had a VERY mild "January."

In my Car + 1/2 garage, I'm figuring I'll have ample room for a half cord like last year, so I think I'll be alright. I hope the folks in here are correct, and that any snow/ice that gets on the wood stacked outside, will dry out within a couple of days.

I'll take some pics of the set up as it is right now, (the wife has some crap in the garage right now, where I kept the half cord last winter, so that's not ready yet). I'll show you the skid arrangement that the wife wanted outside, (not the arrangement that "I" wanted really, but "when Mama's happy; everyone's happy" as you know!

"Details at 11:00 !!"

-Soupy1957

zapny said:
soupy1957 said:

-Soupy1957

Soup last year was our first heating season with the wood stove, we always kept a face cord in the house in two different racks then when one ran out we started on the second rack and filled the first rack. It worked out good for us, our wood stove is in the cellar so we have room the racks.

Zap

I do the same-thing but 3 racks 1 face cord per rack and rotate to driest rack.

You're the second person to talk about a "Face Cord" and frankly, I don't know what you mean. What makes the wood that you are close to burning, a "Face Cord?"

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
You're the second person to talk about a "Face Cord" and frankly, I don't know what you mean. What makes the wood that you are close to burning, a "Face Cord?"

-Soupy1957

"1/3 of a cord". A non-wood burner like the back yard burner does not want to deal with a cord...Some will say that this is wrong but not everyone wants a cord of wood or even a face cord. 4x8x16inchs its easier to make racks inside in face cords rather than making one that holds the whole cord.

The easiest is using thin plywood on top of the stacks. They are the same width as the pallets. You prop up one side with a few pieces of split wood and voila, a pitched roof.

No ice to chip through in the winter when taking off tarps
doesnt blow around like tarps
tarps usually rip after a season or two

Im not talking your thick nicely planed $40 piece either, find something cheap. You can even throw a quick coat of paint or sealer for added life to the plywood.

Thanks for the explaination of a "Face Cord." I'm figuring on about a 1/2 cord in the garage, as a "step" to bringing it into the house.

So, here's some pics...........one is the beginning of the stacking, representing about 1/2 to 2/3 of the first cord, and the other pic is the remaining loose wood still in the driveway, as of this morning.
I did a bit more when I got home today, but I guess I'm getting old or something. I just burned out completely. A couple of young guys have said they would come over and stack the rest, and I think I'm gonna take them up on it. I'll even see if they'd like (for pay of course) to come by and stack the other two cords.

A word about the stack. I only did what you see there, (height) as a starting level. I figure I'll go higher as needed. The skids carry over another 10 feet toward the left of the picture, (not shown) as per the desire of my wife, with a 3 ft separation between the last 3 skids and what you see here.
(walkway to the "back 40").

Admittedly, for you seasoned "stackers," you will look at my stack and see its flaws. I'm open to suggestions, but did the best I could with my rookie mind.

-Soupy1957

Attachments

• Loose Wood.jpg
    Loose Wood.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 469
  • The Stack.jpg
    The Stack.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 483
Looks good to me this is also my first year stacking..That extra wood in the garage is Sweet in big snow storms.

Wait a minute.........hold the presses.........smokinjay: you've got 5,697 posts in here and this is your FIRST year, stackin?
I'm confused. It took you THAT long to decide to stack wood? (lol.........just pickin on ya)

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
Wait a minute.........hold the presses.........smokinjay: you've got 5,697 posts in here and this is your FIRST year, stackin?
I'm confused. It took you THAT long to decide to stack wood? (lol.........just pickin on ya)

-Soupy1957

Yes it did! We will see how it goes.....

smokinjay said:
Looks good to me this is also my first year stacking..That extra wood in the garage is Sweet in big snow storms.

Honestly my first year stacks were the best out of the bunch! :lol:

rdust said:
smokinjay said:

I sure hope thats not the case for me..lol

I have used the blue tarps covering the tops of stacks only. You just fold them until you get the right size. That works fairly well. I use old bricks to keep them in place in case it gets windy. I also have a couple of wood cribs with plywood tops- works even better.

Personally, after getting a lot of good ideas out of the forum, I'm going to be looking for used materials for free. Plywood, pool liners, old galvanized sheet metal- the list is endless. The key word is "free". ;-)

Oh- and of course I use free pallets to stack on.

Since Pallets are good for keeping the wood off the ground (I used them in years past, for other stacks for the OUTDOOR fire pit), it was a "no brainer" to get some. Lots of factories keep a copious (sp?) number of pallets around, and won't charge you a dime to come get the ones you want.

I asked MY employer if I could have some and they even made sure I got "better than the average" ones ..........about 10 of em! Those are what you see in the picture. (some not seen in that shot).

I'm figuring "blue" (the wife said yesterday, "can't you get GRAY ones.........that would LOOK better." Typical "wife" statement), tarps for the tops. As for plywood on the sides, I like the idea, but I'm not sure of the best source for "free" or "on the cheap" sheets of plywood. I'll have to explore this idea.

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
...tarps for the tops. As for plywood on the sides, I like the idea, but I'm not sure of the best source for "free" or "on the cheap" sheets of plywood. I'll have to explore this idea.

-Soupy1957
One detail- plywood for the tops, instead of tarps or whatever. Nothing covering the sides. You want the ends of those splits (or rounds) to breathe as much as possible. But tarps are fine, however. I just think that plywood is in some ways better. I use both here for top covers, several stacks of each.

Check Craig's List regularly, under "For Sale/ Free". You might get lucky. I sure have- on a variety of items.

I think I have a workable plan...............

I'll buy the big plastic tarps (3 or so, as big as I can get them), knowing that they'll tear and need replacement over time, and put the middle of the tarp on the top of the load, folding the sides up on top, anchoring it down with old wood that I won't be burning anywere, (or bricks, or boards, or whatever). Then, when a heavy rain comes, or snow or ice, I'll lay over the sides during the storm(s) and then fold them back up on top after the storm........

Thereby protecting the wood during inclement weather, and allowing the wood to breathe when the sun comes out.

Sound good? I think it'll work. The plastic will be a bit brittle and obstinate in the cold months, but I'll make do.

I called in some re-enforcements today........I got so tired and sore I figured I'd let a couple of young fellas finish up for me. They even said they'd come and stack the NEXT two cords for me!! (For a price, of course).

the two pics below of course show the finished first cord stacking without the tarp(s). Your seeing a better view of the orientation of the location of the wood, relative to the house, as well.

-Soupy1957

Attachments

• First Cord.jpg
    First Cord.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 270
  • First Cord II.jpg
    First Cord II.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 281
I hear all these suggestions for plywood or metal roofing to cover stacks and have to wonder if somehow they are immune to wind. Anyone ever watch CNN cover storms where flying metal torn from roofs threatens to decapitate people?

I've had patio furniture leave dents in the side of my house. I got fed up with having to retrieve shredded blue tarps from the bush and I had three canvas canopy structures destroyed. I have heavy rubber roofing on one of my stacks and have had it blown off. Yesterday I had to weigh down the patio furniture with concrete and this morning my yard is littered with branches.

Rubber roofing seems to be the better covering. While it is heavy enough to usually stay in place, it can blow off becasue the wind can get under it, but once it's on the ground it tends not to go too far.

LLigetfa said:
I hear all these suggestions for plywood or metal roofing to cover stacks and have to wonder if somehow they are immune to wind. Anyone ever watch CNN cover storms where flying metal torn from roofs threatens to decapitate people?

I've had patio furniture leave dents in the side of my house. I got fed up with having to retrieve shredded blue tarps from the bush and I had three canvas canopy structures destroyed. I have heavy rubber roofing on one of my stacks and have had it blown off. Yesterday I had to weigh down the patio furniture with concrete and this morning my yard is littered with branches.

Rubber roofing seems to be the better covering. While it is heavy enough to usually stay in place, it can blow off becasue the wind can get under it, but once it's on the ground it tends not to go too far.

+1 my house is so windy you better have it lag bolted down or its gone....Just not worth the effort.

I figured out the square footage of tarps I would need, and bought them. (Gray, as the wife wanted........lol). Not cheap. Nearly $100.00 for them all together, at Lowe's.

-Soupy1957

rdust said:
smokinjay said:

Yep!

Status
Not open for further replies.