1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Started The Clean Up

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by thewoodlands, Nov 25, 2012.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

This is the big mess up front, some is some nice Cherry but the rest is pine. I hope to have it cleaned up by next fall if not before.

Attached Files:

Pallet Pete and ScotO like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Boy Zap, I wish I was your neighbor. We'd have us a full time job cleaning up the local woods, we'd be set for decades with firewood!
    zap and Thistle like this.
  3. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Ya' gotta' be kiddin' zap......you'll have that done by this weekend.;)
    Scotty, on the other hand.......I'm beginning to worry about. Especially w/o pics.==c
  4. thewoodlands

Getting the wood supply ahead 6 plus years put our property the house is on at the end of the list, time to get caught up. I would need a bigger fireplace for burning if some of you guys came up, not sure I have enough food for ya!
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Oh, but you guys SURE KNOW HOW TO COOK!! :p::-);)
    Thistle, Backwoods Savage and zap like this.
  6. thewoodlands

Are you getting rain tonight?
  7. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio

I don't eat much...How much beer you got?? LOL
    Thistle and Shane N like this.
  8. thewoodlands

None, but we can change that in a hurry.
    Thistle, Shane N and Eatonpcat like this.
  9. thewoodlands

I started some limbing up of some old White Pines in a new area, burned about 10-12 loads of dead white pine. I had to shovel out the fireplace first, started out small with some twigs then went bigger, used a newspaper with 3 fire starters.

Attached Files:

ScotO and Thistle like this.
  10. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Oh. That looks like a nice situation for a beer and a chair.
  11. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    zap, are you Swiss? ==c
  12. thewoodlands

Only four loads today, still limbing up some old white pines in the same area I worked last week.

Pictured is the first load. I'm making a trail to a downed white pine that I'll mill up this year.

Attached Files:

Eatonpcat, ScotO, Thistle and 2 others like this.
  13. thewoodlands

Just more pics of the work limbing up these old white pine.Pic 6858 & 6870 are e before and after, 6861 & 62 are of load number two after we had some coals going,6863 & 64 are some dead standing I dropped,6867,68 & 69 is a tall maple that would never become a good tree so it became deer food.

We did cook burgers over the coals, I forgot to take the damn pics. Next week I plan on limbing up more white pine just west of this, after next week I should be close to that white pine I plan of milling.

The snow is still deep in spots, buried the rhino (up past the frame) but the shovel did the job.

Attached Files:

14. thewoodlands

I worked on limbing up some white pine for a few hours, I did a total of five trees then burned three loads in the fireplace. In pic 6888 - 001 you can see the big part of a white pine that came down which I plan on milling.

Last week I cut these very small maples down for the deer, they hit the buds. Pics 6884,6885 & 6886.

Attached Files:

Gasifier and ScotO like this.
  15. Gasifier

Loc:
    I had to work inside a building today <> , I don't like you anymore ZAP.
    zap and PapaDave like this.
  16. thewoodlands

I wanted more work done today but we went for an early dinner then to the SLU vs Colgate hockey game, SLU won again tonight so they took the three game series 2-0. I'll be back at it tomorrow in some short sleeves.
    Gasifier likes this.
  17. thewoodlands

I limbed up a bunch of white pine trees, I finally will have room for the rhino in this area. I've been working east to west but next weekend I hope to work south to north cutting the dead standing along with the smaller trees that will never be good trees. The first two pictures are a before and after of that area.

I burned seven loads today with a chit load left on the ground. Some of the deer are finding the new area.

Attached Files:

Gasifier likes this.
  18. Gasifier

Loc:
    Looks good ZAP. I haven't had venison the way I like it in a while. Cut thin, very small steak, fried in a pan with butter, onions and pepper. Place greasy, buttery pieces on fresh Italian bread with onions and peppers on top, add salt and pepper.

Attached Files:

zap likes this.
  19. thewoodlands

Venison, it's maple syrup time, with some pancakes,

I can finally say we lost a chit load of snow, I ran the trail in the area I've been working yesterday afternoon, sloppy is the best way I could describe it. The bad thing is the driveway won't melt down to the gravel, it will be like glass tomorrow morning so later this afternoon a 30 gallon garbage can of ashes from earlier in the year will be put to use after I do some plowing with the rhino.
  20. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    The whole driveway....all of it, plus the walk up to the house, and the drive beside the pole barn is one big azz sheet of ice after the thaw/refreeze.
    I don't skate......purposely.
    Can't wait to get back in the woods. Nice pics zap.
  21. thewoodlands

I hit the ground once this year because I never put on the ice cleats that go over my boots, never again. The warm weather bugs out of here after today so it's off the pellet stove back to the wood stove.

Once the cold weather returns it should make it easier for the rhino on the trails but it will be two more weeks before I can get some of the downed wood I want.

They have flood watches south of us (up in elevation) some of that feeds the brook so with the ice breaking up on the banks we could get an ice jam, the still have the big excavator by the bridge on our property just incase the ice builds up against the bridge.
  22. thewoodlands

What's this WE chit! ==c Plenty of Hemlock down o_O we would have plenty to do along with some fishing in the brook.
  23. thewoodlands

Last week I limbed up the white pines in this area, today I took the dead standing which left us another trail for the rhino so I can continue the work come spring.

Attached Files: