Started to cut the log length.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bogydave said:
Lots of glacier silt & volcano dust in all the trees here so they get dull eventually.
I was working a Winter slash job clearing a site for a coal fired generation plant. The area had an open pit iron ore mine nearby. The first thing I noticed was pink snow and the Whiskey Jacks had red breasts and looked like Robins. One cut into a leaning Cedar immediately dulled my chain from the frozen iron dust that collected on the top side.

Stopped this morning at the Woodchop Shop to pick up a new 18 inch bar and two chains, I was told in his opinion that Stihl makes a better chain so I stayed with that and yes he did carry Oregon.

I will start to cut on Saturday,Sunday and Monday. Saturday will be a shorter day since we are going to a hockey game then dinner.

Zap
I'm no chain or metallurgist expert, but I found the "Oregon" chains to last a long time.
May be a good test to get a good Oregon chain & make a comparison for us.
You have the perfect conditions there for a good test.
http://www.oregonchain.com/pdf/chain/72VFB-90.pdf
Have fun but tell everybody how hard you're working.
We all want to dive into a pile of logs like you have & make some sawdust :)[/quote]

You won't be sorry that you purchased the Stihl chain. Its the best that I have run. Maybe a little more pricey, but hey, I'm not running through 20 loops a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.