Started Woodstock Keystone Install (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Den said:
Beauteeful. How many hours do you get on a 12er? Couldn't find any Keystone lager for the photo shoot? :) FV take a longer split?

Ha, it's been a long time since I drank Keystone beer. Yes, the Fireview's fire box is about an inch longer and can take a 19-20" split if it's above the soapstone lip but it will be right up against the door. 18" is recomended max length in both stoves.

Mason just called, said he's going to start in the next couple weeks.

Mason started today chipping away pieces and cutting bricks but had the wrong colored mortar, he will be back tomorrow to start laying brick. The wife's not too happy he showed up on our 24th wedding anniversary but I'm ok with it. We still have all night to celebrate. More pics tomorrow.

Attachments

• 100_1099.jpg
    100_1099.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 921
You can never have too many stoves.

Todd said:
Mason started today chipping away pieces and cutting bricks but had the wrong colored mortar, he will be back tomorrow to start laying brick. The wife's not too happy he showed up on our 24th wedding anniversary but I'm ok with it. We still have all night to celebrate. More pics tomorrow.

Ya mean your wife wanted to spend the 24th with you? j/k

Have a great anniversary Todd.

Todd said:

Do I really want to see pic of what you two did on the night of your anniversary? I'm thinking I don't.

Ha, BB get your mind out of the gutter!

Made some progress today, got the sides and back done. Tomorrow he should finish up the 45 deg overhead and floor. I also had enough room to pour some insulation between the new brick and old fireplace block which will help since it's an outside chimney. I might have the stove and liner installed by the weekend?

Attachments

• 100_1101.jpg
    100_1101.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 843
  • 100_1102.jpg
    100_1102.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 851
Looks like a great job matching the brick.

Yeah, I got lucky on the brick it's basically the same stuff but has a more square edge than the old brick.

Looks Great! My father is a Mason and I worked with him (and still do part time here and there) for 7 years to pay for school etc. Your mason appears to be doing a great job and once your finished with the masonry and that BEAUTIFUL stove you will have a real center piece for the room!

Congrats!

Nate

Finished up the front face and overhead, all thats left is the floor but he wants to wait til Friday to take down the form. It's looking so good I don't know if I should even put a stove in there. ;-)

Attachments

• 100_1103.jpg
    100_1103.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 779
  • 100_1104.jpg
    100_1104.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 780
Very nice job. I can see that Keystone is just itching to get on that pedestal. It's going to look great.

Time to go climbing. With a liner hung over your shoulder.

Congratulations, Todd. It is looking great!! The Keystone is going to look perfect there.

The hearth is done. Just have to wait a day or two for the mortar to dry and then it's time to install the stove and liner. I'm going to have a little gap where the pipe goes through and thinking of either more mortar around it or cutting some sheet metal to fit, what you guys think? I can't use a collar ring cuz of the angle of the dangle.

Attachments

• 100_1105.jpg
    100_1105.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 742
  • 100_1106.jpg
    100_1106.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 750
Put a thimble on the hole and use pipe down to the stove. Look better and be easier to service later.

Todd,

This looks really great. If you PM me the angle and the pipe outside diameter, I can use a CAD program to give you an oval pattern you can print-out as a template. From this, you can cut a hole some sheet metal and take your pipe up through it without any gaps. A square flat plate with an oval in it. Paint it black and your good to go.

It looks like a pipe coming up from your hearth. Is that a fresh air intake for the stove?

I am still wrestling with my Keystone install plans, thought I had it, but changed my mind - again!

Good luck,
Bill

I have a 45 that comes out the top of the stove and according to my measurements it will be right up next to the hole, so I'm thinking on just bringing the liner and liner connector right to the 45, then need to fill the gaps. The back wall is 45 degrees but the last course angles up to a 90 where the lintel starts so It's kind of unique. Once I get the stove in there I should get a better idea of what's needed.

Who's liner are you using this round?

I hope you gave that brick mason a nice fat tip for the job he did there. His work is exquisite. :) Rick

Yeah. Every time I see stuff like that I want to take a sledge hammer to that ugly fireplace of mine.

On closer inspection, I'm detecting some definite Naval artifacts in the pics. I will admit to being kinda partial to them. :p Rick

fossil said:
On closer inspection, I'm detecting some definite Naval artifacts in the pics. I will admit to being kinda partial to them. :p Rick

What? Rusted out fireboxes? Folgers canisters? Bricks?

Personally I look for navel artifacts. :coolgrin:

Wow!

Todd,

You are going to be warm and toasty. :cheese:

The brick work looks absolutely wonderful.

And no "forced air" through the OAK! ;-P

Will you even use the Fireview that much anymore?

Very very nice.

Cheers,Hiram

fossil said:
I hope you gave that brick mason a nice fat tip for the job he did there. His work is exquisite. :) Rick

2 bottles of home made mead. And free refills.

Status
Not open for further replies.