Started Woodstock Keystone Install (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fossil said:
On closer inspection, I'm detecting some definite Naval artifacts in the pics. I will admit to being kinda partial to them. :p Rick

Yeah, it's kind a funny how I was going to join the Navy and my dad (Navy Vet) told me to join the Coast Guard, those guys have it made, so I followed his advise for 20 years. Then both my kids looked at the Coast Guard and I told them nah, join the Navy those guys have it made and have more opportunities, so they both joined the Navy.

Hiram Maxim said:
Wow!

Todd,

You are going to be warm and toasty. :cheese:

The brick work looks absolutely wonderful.

And no "forced air" through the OAK! ;-P

Will you even use the Fireview that much anymore?

Very very nice.

Cheers,Hiram

The Fireview will still be primary and the Keystone will be secondary burning in the colder winter weather but I'm sure that could change and I'm sure I'll have to burn the Keystone more than needed this year just cuz it's new.

That looks great! I can't wait to see the stove on it!

Stoves in, liner installed and insulated with perlite. I still need to clean up the hearth and do something with the crock, but she's ready to go!

Attachments

• 100_1107.jpg
    100_1107.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 952
Very nice, I keep wanting the say something about the front clearance and keep forgetting the side door, great application.

Now all you need is some cool weather ;)

Sweet. It looks really great. That's a fine install.

But ya forgot one thing my friend. FIRE! :lol:

Yeah, we don't care if it's 100°F where you live...we wanna see a pic of that beauty burnin'! :coolgrin:

That looks fantastic Todd. Good job my man.

Thanks guys, I'm pretty pleased on how it turned out. Just ordered an 11" od trim collar to hide the gap around the pipe, should be big enough to trim and bend some to fit.

The wife says no fire yet! :mad:

Todd said:
Thanks guys, I'm pretty pleased on how it turned out.

As well you should be, Todd.

Todd said:
The wife says no fire yet! :mad:

Well, then I guess we'll all just have to wait. :mad:

You sure know how to get her done Todd. Looks just wonderful just like your other install. Enjoy that extra warmth on those extra cold days and have fun tinkering with it.

Hey Corie. Welcome back!

Gotta be the best looking and most effective block off plate in the history of fireplaces.

BrotherBart said:
Gotta be the best looking and most effective block off plate in the history of fireplaces.

Yeah, that whole back wall and some of the sides have perlite insulation between the new brick and old fireplace walls, and then all the way up to the top plate. I figured it would help with the short outside wall chimney.

Todd said:
BrotherBart said:

Yeah, that whole back wall and some of the sides have perlite insulation between the new brick and old fireplace walls, and then all the way up to the top plate. I figured it would help with the short outside wall chimney.

The heat is just gonna roll out of that fireplace. In fact you are gonna need to keep an eye on that mantle.

But what the hey. It is a soapstone cat stove. Low and slow right?

BrotherBart said:

Isn't That the Truth.

Impressive.....Just Impressive :)

Todd said:
According to my measurements the Keystone comes in at 1.4 cu ft and the Fireview at 1.8 and that's measuring the usable space from andirons to back wall, top to bottom and side to side. Just looking at them you really can't tell much diff. I figure now I won't have to sacrifice those 12 hour burns mid winter with the Fireview to pick up the slack now that I have the Keystone and the whole house will have a much more even heat.

Todd,

I have to ask.....why did you go with the Keystone model over another Fireview? :roll:

Cheers,Hiram

Why have two of the same, when you can have two slightly different stoves to play with? :) Rock on, Todd! (p.s. That would be a great pic to show the next person who wants to build an exterior fireplace from scratch, instead of a hearth, for the purpose of installing a stove. :) )

Variety is the spice of life.

Todd, that looks great. I'd still wait on that first fire though. lol

BrotherBart said:
Todd said:
BrotherBart said:

The heat is just gonna roll out of that fireplace. In fact you are gonna need to keep an eye on that mantle.

But what the hey. It is a soapstone cat stove. Low and slow right?

You mean my nonflamable fake wood mantel? :)

Hiram Maxim said:
Todd said:
According to my measurements the Keystone comes in at 1.4 cu ft and the Fireview at 1.8 and that's measuring the usable space from andirons to back wall, top to bottom and side to side. Just looking at them you really can't tell much diff. I figure now I won't have to sacrifice those 12 hour burns mid winter with the Fireview to pick up the slack now that I have the Keystone and the whole house will have a much more even heat.

Todd,

I have to ask.....why did you go with the Keystone model over another Fireview? :roll:

Cheers,Hiram

Even though a Fireview would look great in there and would be much easier maintenance wise I still like the looks of the Keystone better. Hey, I can always switch them around if I want. :lol:

Todd said:
Hiram Maxim said:
Todd said:

Todd,

Cheers,Hiram

Even though a Fireview would look great in there and would be much easier maintenance wise I still like the looks of the Keystone better. Hey, I can always switch them around if I want. :lol:

Right on! :)

I just had to ask. :cheese: The Keystone really looks like it belongs there.

Status
Not open for further replies.