Started Woodstock Keystone Install (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeGreen said:
Variety is the spice of life.

Very True, Sir, Very True! :lol:

Den said:
Todd said:
Even though a Fireview would look great in there and would be much easier maintenance wise. . .
Why? Easier access to the flue from inside the stove?

The fireview has a very easy access to the cat, just lift up the top lid. The Keystone has access from either the top or rear flue exit plate. Not much room for me to get to that rear plate so I will have to unbolt the top plate and have to fish around in there blindly to remove the cat which is ok, I plan on doing that end of season. You can also get to the inner side of the cat through the side loading door and by removing 1 bolt from the baffle plate to brush or vacuum. I think I might just take a can of low pressure air and blow it out from the inside.

As far as sweeping the flue I'll have to disconnect the 45 and wrap a plastic bag around the liner connector and just sweep into the bag. Come to think about it, I don't know if the Fireview would even work there cuz of the rear exhaust. I would of had to have the crock lower.

And then all of those little things ya didn't think of at install time that you learn the first time ya clean the pipe. And sometimes the second time ya clean the pipe. All part of the joys of wood burning.

Congratulations, Todd. It looks fantastic!!

Nothin like a small breakin fire during the dog days of summer. Stinky paint smell, actually saw some smoke of the pipe, good thing windows are all open, should be cleared out before the wife gets home from work.

Attachments

• 100_1129.jpg
    100_1129.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 658
Houston, we have ignition. This looks like the beginning of a beautiful romance.

Beautiful. Just...beautiful.

Sweet setup, looks great.

Hold on Todd, the heating season is very close now.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hold on Todd, the heating season is very close now.

Don't worry Dennis, I can wait, but I'd like to get most of the stink off the stove now before I have to close the windows. Funny thing happened this morning when I opened the stove door, the gasket stuck to the knife edge and peeled out of the groove. Now I have to cement it back in. Maybe I should send the stove back to Woodstock? :lol:

I can wait too Todd. I agree about getting the stink out of the way.

Yes, call Woodstock and rattle their cage! lol At least they will send you some new cement and probably the gasket too.

Todd,

The install, the fire - just looks great!

Did you remove the screws holding the cat in place before installing - just courious.

Bill

leeave96 said:
Todd,

The install, the fire - just looks great!

Did you remove the screws holding the cat in place before installing - just courious.

Bill

Thanks, yeah I took them out, makes it easier to remove later on.

It looks super, Todd. Nice boots, those your's?

Ya done good old son. Ya done real good. I'm jealous.

Man, take off a day and come back and find out some fool is burning his stove in July. ;-)

It looks great, Todd!!

Yeah, this old fool was burning again. lol. Here's a video with 3 small splits of Oak burning at about .75. I think I'm going to have draft as good as Backwood Savage's, Later on I turned her all the way down to 0 and still had some flame and red in the coals. Pretty dang good draft for being 70 degrees out. %-P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBiPu2ynTUA

Great. Looks like you are going to have a very nice fire view there.

Looks great man, and cool video - but wow - your keystone at .5 burns about like mine does around 1 or even higher !!

We easily got 8, 10, and even 12 hour burns out of our keystone last winter. Have fun!

Since we had some cool 50's the last few evenings I played around with my new stove to break her in. At first it seemed to burn kind a hot and after the load was going good I turned her down all the way to 0, still had too much flame and pipe temps were too high at 450. Something wasn't right, checked all my gaskets, ash pan, and also called Woodstock for advice. Turned out to be the Fireview OAK adapter I rigged up to the stove (trying to save $50). I thought I could just re drill the holes to match it up to the Keystone but I also had to remove a small cast plate where the holes lined up for the OAK and that plate turned out to have a groove that the air slide laid on which once removed left a gap for more air to get in. No wonder I couldn't shut her down. Called Woodstock and ordered the Keystone OAK adapter which installs around that plate. I don't know why they have that removable plate there, It looks like you need to remove it to install the adapter but that's what I get for assuming.

After reinstalling the plate I did one more breakin burn last night about 8:30 pm with a full load of Oak. Once the load was going good I engaged at #1 and let her go, the flames slowed down and cat turned red right away. I like how with this stove you can see the glowing cat without stooping over, it's right in front of you along with the beautiful lazy flames. After about 45 minutes the stove climbed up to 550 and the pipe temp was about 375. My pipe thermometer is only 10" above the exhaust collar so I'm thinking it's going to read a little hotter than my Fireview. Got her up to 600 then I played with the air controls for the next hour or so and found I could shut her right down so that damn plate was the problem. Before bed I shut it down just a tad below #1 and had that signature Woodstock ghostly floating blue flame, sorry, should of took a picture. The next morning I checked on the stove about 7:00 and it was still at 175 with enough coals to rekindle if need be. Not bad, I figure 8-10+ hour burns should be no problem with this stove.

Kind a wierd burning in August but who cares, open up all the windows and get the stink out! I was still getting some stink off the pipe, should be good to go now. Bring on the cold weather! :cheese:

Very nice!

For those of us who haven't gotten our Keystone installed yet ;( or don't have one of these fine stoves to rest our eyes on - can you post more videos & pics?

Thanks!
Bill

Whats the hold up Bill? Fall will be here soon. Sorry, my camera batteries died or I would of shot another video for ya. I don't think I'll be burning til Sep or if the high temps dip down into the 50's. Your just going to have to get yours broke in if you want to see some flame. :lol:

The stove may go in in September - if not, then it might be fall 2011 - YIKES!!!!!!!!!!

Don't give me that lame dead batteries bit - there were no excuses when I sent you pics and measurements of my Keystone setting quitely on the shipping pallet - where it is still setting..... ;)

On the glass half full side, my unburned wood is seasoning nicely!

Thanks,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.