Starter pipe to double wall pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aarman4

Dec 27, 2014
Southwest Manitoba
Hey all, long time listener first time caller!

Anyways, I'm hooking up my new dutchwest 2461 cat and need some pipe advice... The double wall pipe does not fit into the flue collar. The outer wall is the exact same size as the flue collar, and even if it did fit over, the collar is tapered out and it wouldn't be able to slide down. Is a a starter pipe what I need?

The following link is what I think I need but can someone please tell me if it will mate up to the double wall pipe as well?

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/i...7n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I5534932?Ntt=Stove+pipe&Num=1

Thanks so much, and big thanks to all of the great people here, I've read allot of your threads, enough to help me decide on a dutchwest cat for my situation.

Jeff got it. You need the stove adaptor. They don't come with the stove, as different brands of pipe need different adaptors. Some adaptors fit down inside the stove collar, some fit around the outside, etc. You need the adaptor made specifically for your brand and type of pipe and for the exact type of collar on your stove. You should not have to cram or bend up or cut the adaptor to make it fit, or you will have the wrong one. I had to order three different ones once for a stove in order to end up with the correct one. Your stove manufacturer should be able to tell you exactly which adaptor you need, if you call them and ask.

Wow, now that's service! Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate the help.

I managed to find that exact piece in the stores online catalogue after knowing what to search for, and I'm ordering it right away.

I'm curious though, is the stove collar setup for single wall pipe and it's the double wall system that is tough to work with, or is this something all installations need regardless of the type of pipe your using?

Thanks again!

Right now, I have three stoves of different brands. All are connected with with double-wall pipe to Metalbestos [Selkirk] chimney pipe, so that is the only brand with which I am familiar. . Among those three stoves, I found I needed two different stove adaptors. This is due to slightly different collar set-ups on the different make of stove.

The adaptors are available, or mine are, in a double-wall version. They are made for double-wall pipe connection. They are no more difficult to connect than the pipe sections are to one another, no brainer.

I used to have an old stove that was using single-wall pipe, and for that I had a single-wall stove adaptor.

The stove collar does not care whether you use single- or double-wall pipe or adaptors, or mine don't. You just have to get the version of adaptor that will fit with your specific collar. Because you are using double-wall pipe, you need and want a double-wall stove adaptor. If it is the correct adaptor for your make and model of stove, it will fit just fine.

Thanks for all of the help, I I took my flue collar (detachable) in after calling, they found me the piece and wet made sure it fits. Thanks so much for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.