Starting a Business

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Junebug90

Oct 14, 2014
Michigan
My cousin and I have been bouncing around an idea to start a business for a while now. The area we are thinking is a city surrounded by rural communities. We are wondering about opening a wood supply store. Like sell boilers stoves furnaces and needed accessories and pellets. Anyone have any insight to how to do this?

In our area, the arborists have it covered. They get paid to cut and remove trees, then paid again to sell the trees as firewood. I think the wood burning business seems to be very cyclical. Boom or bust. Most stores I have been to seem to carry an assortment of other products to keep the cash flow moving.
I was sort of thinking about doing something similar. Then, you just have to read about people who are supposed 'experts' that tell the world how cat stoves are useless, etc. I don't need the frustration of people who buy a new stove, then get mad when they cut down the tree in the back yard and their stove stops working properly. Gotta admit, wood furnaces are easier to operate, so it appears.

Your defiantly starting off right by asking questions. I don't know anything about the stove and furnace business, but I do own a business and I'll give you a little advise.

Do as much research as you can, ask questions, and more questions. Starting a business is very hard and can be frustrating at times. Working with family is even harder. My sister and I are partners, we get a long great outside of work, but we really don't work well together. We both have different visions of how stuff should be and conflict a lot. We had to both take a step back and came to an agreement that we would both manage different parts of the business.

So take things slow, make sure you research everything, and I hope everything works out for you.

I think another thing would be, what brand of products you will carry. The selling point on my portage and main bl 28-40 wasnt the price because it is more expensive but the quality and simpicity. I think you are going to want to sell a quality product. Remember bad news travels alot faster than good news. I have to considered doing something similar but possibly with carrying portage and main.

Don't do it with a partner.

If you have to have multiple owners, have one majority owner, with final say in event of irreconciable disuptes, and have a forced buyout agreement in place.
That way, multiple people can be invested with a piece of the action, but you do not get deadlocked.

Also I will tell you from experience with my wife starting her own business that it definitely takes a few years to build your brand. Have a clear vision, and don't take short cuts and you should be very successful.

The other things I can tell you are: don't get into debt to get started, don't "organize" yourself to death and never start, KISS (Keep it simple silly), and keep records no matter how cryptic of all you spend and your mileage. I started my own business in a whole different area (NibblesBakery4Dogs.com) and it takes longer than you expect for an income and there are more issues sometimes than you realize. Good luck, whatever you decide. Another thought . . . make sure where you want to open still allows wood burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.