Starting a Huskee 32 Ton Splitter with 11 HP Briggs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tkirk22

Nov 20, 2007
VA Mountains
My brother in law bought a 32 Ton Huskee from Tractor Supply as a floor model a couple years ago. It didn't come with an owners manual.

This thing doesn't like to start after sitting for a period of time unless it gets a priming shot of starter fluid or gasoline. It appears to me as though the fuel tank is having a hard time gravity filling the float bowl and that the fuel is evaporating out of the bowl within days. There is a fuel pump powered by internal engine air pressure and that does work when the engine is running.

Anyone know the proper procedure to start these things after sitting or are they just that poorly designed?

I suggested he put a priming bulb off a boat on the fuel line. Is there a better way?

Great idea on the primer bulb. My riding lawnmower has the same issue when I run the fuel tank dry. I have actually poured a little gas down the carb to get it to start enough to pump fuel to the carb.

I might just add a bulb myself.

This might be a nature of the beast issue.

Kirk22 said:
My brother in law bought a 32 Ton Huskee from Tractor Supply as a floor model a couple years ago. It didn't come with an owners manual.

This thing doesn't like to start after sitting for a period of time unless it gets a priming shot of starter fluid or gasoline.

I suggested he put a priming bulb off a boat on the fuel line. Is there a better way?

Mine is like that on the first fire up of the year after it's been sitting for a few months or more. I just give it a small splash of gas down the carb and it fires right up. A primer bulb would be an ideal fix.

cmonSTART said:
If it's not starting easily, there's something wrong with it.

Not necessarily. I think is a birth defect with that engine. Mine has consistently done the same thing since it was born 7 years ago. One small splash of gas down the carb and situation resolved until next spring.

Whenever my splitter is static for a week or so I just give it a shot of starting fluid...it's a whole lot easier the pulling a dz times for nothing. Now after it's been running it restarts OK even the next morning. Some engines are quirky that way so do what you have to do to get 'em running. Primer bulbs have there share of problems too...over the years I've heard/seen plenty just crumble apart.

woodconvert said:
cmonSTART said:
If it's not starting easily, there's something wrong with it.

Not necessarily. I think is a birth defect with that engine. Mine has consistently done the same thing since it was born 7 years ago. One small splash of gas down the carb and situation resolved until next spring.

Yep. It is an issue with the fuel system design. I don't have the splitter to look at right now but from memory: The float bowl is about even with the middle of the fuel tank. The pump is located near the 75% fuel level. I'm thinking that even with a full tank, there's not enough pressure to make it past the check valve in the pump.

I'll have to look again, but I wonder if lowering the pump would help. Then again maybe they moved the pump higher to 'fix' a leaky float valve. Briggs engines certainly ain't what they used to be.

I'll have a look at mine but I believe my carb is fully below the tank. Regardless, it's an easy thing to work around and i've yet to have a B.S. engine have a catastrophic failure on me after a lot of abuse. I do like how quiet the Honda's are but i'd still be wearing ear plugs anyhow so noise isn't an issue (particularly after running the saw for a couple hours).

I have a Swisher with a 10 1/2 HP Briggs. I have never had a problem starting mine. I pull out the pump disengage lever, pull the choke about half way out, make sure the throttle is about half way open,(It won't run in the off position :red: ) and it usually starts on the first or second pull. (I have to push the choke back in right away after it fires, or tries to fire) After it is running I slow the engine down and push the pump engage lever back in to engage the pump and I am off and splitting.

It may be different on your motor, and your splitter, but that is what I do and haven't had a problem yet.

What motor is on the splitter?

Can you get an owners manual on line? That would help allot.

Status
Not open for further replies.