Starting my "storage and replumb" project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have the luxury of using batts to get full r value from them because my tanks are about 2" from my wall so I would have areas where there is good insulation and areas where is not. with the spray gun the foamer can get in behind the tanks and hit them to get maximum r value from the foam.

And beagle dad, that is a beautiful setup you have there.

i used the batt insulation only as a support for the cladding since the foam is very hard and irregular. if your foamer is going to fill the back side with foam, consider placing some 6mil poly sheet against the wall if you do not want to glue the tanks to the wall.

Reactions: Buzz Saw
Yep, plastic is up already. he is suppose to be here tomorrow afternoon . I'll try to remember to get some pictures.

Here's how I'm sitting now.

20161103_204825.jpg

20161103_204814.jpg

Welp, spray foamer said his chemical rep said it's about a 50/50 shot of the foam sticking and staying. he said he had seen the foam stay on hot water tanks for good and he has seen them stay on the tanks for a month and start peeling back. I'm guessing application temps had a big roll in the bad experience but I'm not the expert.

so I'm not going to spend the money on that. I'm going to do my best to get the fiberglass batts to lay good behind the tanks. I do have the plastic behind there already so that should help the fiberglass to slide versus hanging up on the OSB paneling.

That is strange. Central boiler has been spraying boilers for years with no problems.

Welp, spray foamer said his chemical rep said it's about a 50/50 shot of the foam sticking and staying. he said he had seen the foam stay on hot water tanks for good and he has seen them stay on the tanks for a month and start peeling back. I'm guessing application temps had a big roll in the bad experience but I'm not the expert.
I bet the tank surface condition and prep (or lack thereof) has a lot to do with it. I'm sure foam is at least a little bit like paint, it's all about the prep (and then proper application too)

I did a 2 part marine grade foam on mine. I made a form around the tanks with plywood, mixed one quart of equal parts together, then poured it in the mold. It would certainly help with getting the back side of your tanks. I went 6" thick which, was way overkill looking back. The place I got mine is US composites. If you google them, you will find their website. It is a fairly simply, and slightly messy process. I went with 2lb closed cell foam. If you can't find their site, let me know and I can post a link.

For future reference, here is the spec sheet for the 2 pound foam. The sheet provides the expansion after the foam is applied for the temperature range of -20C (-4F) to 100C (212F). Foam is used to -40F and I would expect it can be used to over 212F

DSCF6173.JPG

That's good to know thank you.

Since I didn't get my foam done, I figured it wouldn't hurt to heat the tanks back up. I burned for about 5 hours straight and got the top up to 160. after the fire started dieing down they balanced out around 150. But while my boiler was getting up to temp. it was pushing 185 at the supply fittings at the boiler the return temp was around 130. I noticed my thermomix valve was making a weird noise. why would it be doing this?

Here's the noise

Ok, so, as of yesterday I lost my job. so this system might be going up for sale very soon. keep a look out in the for sale ads if you're interested .

Ok, so, as of yesterday I lost my job. so this system might be going up for sale very soon. keep a look out in the for sale ads if you're interested .

Thats crappy news .. hopefully you'll find another . you seem to have quite a few good skill sets.

Dislike...DISLIKE! !!!
Thats crappy news .. hopefully you'll find another . you seem to have quite a few good skill sets.
X2!

Uggh, man, that's harsh. All the best to ya going forward!

Reactions: warno
Thanks guys. I have a few leads on some welding positions and throwing apps out like crazy tomorrow. I have a few apps to fill it today and a bunch of phone calls to make for verious things.

Just show 'em pics of your handiwork here...they'll be fightin over ya! :)

I was let go over a technically. about 4 years ago I was reprimanded over working on my own projects on company time. and was told then if it ever happened again I would be fired. well on Friday I had 2 little weld fittings, the size of my little finger, sand blasted while the guy was running production parts. The operator brought the parts to me when a supervisor was walking up to ask about another matter. That was Friday, so I went to the office Monday morning to try to clear my name. my boss appreciated my honestly but it didn't matter.

I then proceeded to say that the weld line supervisor has had plenty of items built on company time and the sheet metal supervisor just last week had me weld something for him. but that is ok for them to do but not me.

I'll be honest though. I'm ok with it. for the last few years I've felt stuck. I've been there 10 years. I loved the facility, the people were great for the most part, the pay was good but it was offset by bad benefits and horrible retirement. so I'm hoping it's all a blessing in disguise.

That's one thing that I really like about the place that I work, my boss knows that I often work through breaks and work "over" 5-10 minutes almost everyday (for free) so if I do a small "government" project on the clock when there is a little free time, its no big deal at all.
Just attach these two pics to your application, you'll be in line Flynn!
20160823_051310-jpg.183139.jpg

20160901_181713-jpg.183417.jpg This second pic looks like the weld was painted on by Leonardo da Vinci! Incredible...

Reactions: sloeffle and warno
That totally sucks, but IMO you deserve better. Your welding abilities are simply stunning.

I spent 10 yrs in the navy nuclear field, and the last 17 at a trash to energy power plant. I've seen 2000 psi nuke grade welds that needed to pass x-ray tests, 1200 psi steam plant stuff, 3500 psi hydraulic stuff. You are definitely gifted with ability and attention to detail. Keep your chin up and the best of luck with whatever happens next.

Reactions: sloeffle and warno
Thanks guys. I'm a pretty optimistic and opportunistic man. So even if it's getting my foot in the door to get to something better, I'm all about it. and being young, at 28, helps. I have alot of years left to work.

So back on track here. I figured I'd keep heating since everything is up and running already. but I have a question about what happened today I hope you guys can help me with.

I started a fire this morning and it started out just fine. so I left it to do its thing. when I returned there was a bunch of water pushed out the vent of the boiler, so I checked the temp. the boiler was sitting at 200F. my storage was at 160F. my plate HX has been dropping 30 degrees on the boiler side for every 20 degrees picked up by the storage. so why did my boiler end up getting so hot and shutting down? is 160F really all the hotter I can expect my storage to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.