starting sthil ms180

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ab landscapes

Dec 8, 2007
essex england
recently brought sthil ms180... basic model without primmer bulb or "easy start". Hard to start on first two uses... both for small jobs. Now can't get to start at all. Have removed and dried spark plug. followed starting procedure countless times but won't even start to "fire". have used sthil strimmers, blowers and hedge cutters for years with very few problems but this is really ticking me off. Has correct mix of 2 stroke in tank and plenty of it. anything else i can try to aid starting and get it going?

Boy, I'm not sure what to say. Fresh fuel is important. The stuff that passes for gasoline currently gets stale pretty quickly and loses some of it's zing. Other than that, you mentioned you had to dry the spark plug. That's good. It means fuel is getting through the carb. Make sure the ignition switch/choke lever is all the way down, with the throttle trigger stuck partly open and pull until you hear it pop, or sputter. It shouldn't take more than a couple pulls. Push the lever up one click and give it a couple more pulls. It should fire right up. If not, swing by the dealer you bought it from and explain to them the problem. A dealer worth it's salt will help you out on the spot (I work for one. We handle this kind of stuff frequently no charge.) Let me know how you make out.

well mate the baby works again! took her inside and cleaned her all over and (after i turned the football off on the radio!) noticed a small hissing sound. the rubber foot on the bottom of the black fuel line wasn't on the tank properly and petrol (gas to you!) was leaking out. took off filler cap and got fingers inside and pulled it back down tight. no more hissing or petrol leaking out ... and it started! maybe coincidence i dont know but a petrol leak's never a good thing anyway. always annoying when something new doesn't work but at least i know a lot more about the machine now i've spent so long fiddling with it and reading the manual... and as an added bonus i found this site.
cheers
andy

Status
Not open for further replies.